A Kick-Ass Dual 3.8GHz NetBurst Xeon Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 243, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Irinikus wrote on 2023-07-06, 15:23:

It will be very interesting to see how the bottlenecking affects the performance of the GTX 690 in this system. (The SLI setup may render the system very jerky (Due to micro stutter), but I won't know until I try it!)

Stuttering is caused by heavy GPU load in multi-card AFR setups, because cards can't sync their workload. Slow PCIe affects it minimally. You'll have CPU stuttering though, because Socket 604 is mostly Netburst, with all following drawbacks.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:32:
Irinikus wrote on 2023-07-06, 15:23:

It will be very interesting to see how the bottlenecking affects the performance of the GTX 690 in this system. (The SLI setup may render the system very jerky (Due to micro stutter), but I won't know until I try it!)

Stuttering is caused by heavy GPU load in multi-card AFR setups, because cards can't sync their workload. Slow PCIe affects it minimally.

The GTX 690 will be the first card I test so it will be an interesting experiment.

YouTube

Reply 22 of 243, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, and Crysis is extremely CPU limited, unless you have something like a Core 2 Duo with 3200Mhz or more.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-07-06, 17:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:39:

Oh, and Crysis is extremely CPU limited, unless you have something like a Core 2 Duo with 3200Mhz or more.

Will dual GPU's work to exacerbate the CPU stutter?

As I stated in an earlier post, I noticed what appeared to be micro stutter in the Crysis demonstration on a similar base system equipped with a 7950GX2 when the settings were changed from medium to high!

There didn't appear to be any stuttering with medium settings.

YouTube

Reply 24 of 243, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Irinikus wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:41:

Probably not. 7950GX2 is by no means capable to play Crysis with good looking settings. Very weak shader performance and not enough VRAM.

Reply 25 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:47:

Probably not. 7950GX2 is by no means capable to play Crysis with good looking settings. Very weak shader performance and not enough VRAM.

Cool! Thanks for the info! 😀

YouTube

Reply 26 of 243, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:29:
This was my Quad GPU setup: (2 x XFX HD 5970 Black Editions) […]
Show full quote
acl wrote on 2023-07-06, 16:49:

I tried quad GPU setup on several occasions . And to be honest, scaling was super disappointing.
But very fun nonetheless

This was my Quad GPU setup: (2 x XFX HD 5970 Black Editions)

E2wBESu.jpg

Cable management was a nightmare, as the Power Supply wasn't modular and the Cooler Master Cosmos wasn't designed for effective cable management!

I've done it once and do not recommend it! (I often ended up disabling the second card to avoid negative scaling!)

Very nice setup.
I have a thing for multi GPU systems and cards.

I've only one 5970 so never tried with a pair 🙁
Tried with two 3870x2 and two 4870x2.

I have a system almost ready for assembly with either two 9800GX2 or two GTX295 but I still need the motherboard for another usage. So the components are waiting in a box...
But I really want to compare the ATI VS nVidia 4GPU experience.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-06, 17:47:

Yes, I love this card too.
Can run Crysis for sure, but with very low performances.
It's a 2006 card after all, while Crysis is a late 2007 game. And GF7 series is DX9 compatible only.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 27 of 243, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2023-07-06, 18:08:

It's a 2006 card after all, while Crysis is a late 2007 game. And GF7 series is DX9 compatible only.

Crysis is practically a DX9 game. And CryTek DX10 marketing was mostly bullshit, which was dropped after Crysis Warhead release.

Reply 29 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-07-06, 22:51:

Negative scaling?

What's that?

Cheers,

A significant reduction in performance with more than two GPU’s operating!

The Quad GPU setup often offered less performance than two GPU’s therefore the performance scaled negatively with the addition of the extra two GPU’s in those cases!

YouTube

Reply 30 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found this Supermicro board which is actually better than the TYAN in a way!

Supermicro X6Da8-G2 Motherboard:

LuCXaRK.jpg

It's better in that it features two PCIe slots (one 16x for a graphics card and one 4x in a 16x slot, which would allow you to fit a OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive, allowing for extreme hard drive performance on a" P4 system"!)

9UgbqYK.jpg

In place of this feature the TYAN features a PCIe Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. (A feature which I don't really care for, but it's a feature that the board has none the less!)

With these boards (and their limited number of available PCIe lanes), everything's a tradeoff! It all depends on which configuration's most useful to you!

I'm going to be sticking with the TYAN, as I don't want yet another dual P4 Xeon board! (Experimenting with a RevoDrive in such a system would have been fun though!)

YouTube

Reply 31 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I carried out a search to find the absolute best CPU match for this board and came across this:

faebcVH.png

ya6cQSk.png

MworKWA.png

This shows that this monster of a chip may be compatible with this board!

phNZEEP.png

wQFr99H.jpg

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction on the website so I'm not sure if they'll actually be compatible!

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of CPU in a board such as this one?

YouTube

Reply 32 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

very much doubt what that site is listing- you'd need an MP board with a chipset like E850x Twin Castle. Pretty sure your choice is Nocona, Irwindale or Paxville (maybe?) but you've already ruled out the latter

Reply 34 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the type of motherboard you'd require to run the likes of the Xeon 7140M! (SuperMicro X6QT8 ( Intel E8501) with 64gb-memory support for four Xeon processors)

p3hurTS.png

It also features 2 PCIe slots allowing you to fit graphics as well as a PCIe SSD!!!

This is what the server which contains this type of board looks like: (Supermicro E8501 (Twin Castle) 8044T-8R/8044T-8RB SuperServer.)

2juRiCo.png

What a monster!!!!!!

It would be awesome to pair one of these boards with one of these single-slot Quadro's, an OCZ Z-Drive 4500 PCIe SSD, and a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro X-ram Audio Card: (A definite future build! "The Mother of All P4 Xeon Builds")

UruW494.png

xZwEUos.png

odFz9nE.png

YouTube

Reply 35 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So when are you getting one! 😀

Seriously , there are a few posts on the web of people trying to shoehorn Tulsa chips onto E7525 Tumwater and even 875P Canterwood boards, primarily by bios modding, but I don't think anyone ever got it to work - did read somewhere that Tulsa has, at the very least, different voltage specs for the cache that these other chipsets could never deliver anyway

Reply 36 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-07-28, 01:03:

Once I finish this build, the RDRAM and the Dual Pentium Pro build!

I have to get my current projects under control first! 😀

YouTube

Reply 37 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-07-28, 09:45:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-07-28, 01:03:

Once I finish this build, the RDRAM and the Dual Pentium Pro build!

I have to get my current projects under control first! 😀

Having stuff under control is over estimated 😎😎

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 38 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm considering the In Win 915 Black Window E-ATX Full Tower PC Case for this build as I don't want yet another Corsair case:

LiaVjqE.jpg

SFtld7V.jpg

huuKxZY.jpg

This gives you an idea as to how this motherboard will look in this case:

9uwR66s.jpg

YouTube

Reply 39 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a beautiful case, I second that!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀