VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really nice build!

How do you mix the outputs of all these soundcards? External mixer?

Also how did you do the system resources setup?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2023-11-21, 17:01:

[...]
External mixer?
[...]

it is the only approved way 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 29, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2023-11-21, 17:01:

Really nice build!

How do you mix the outputs of all these soundcards? External mixer?

Also how did you do the system resources setup?

Thank you!

Audio is handled with an RCA A/V switch box and an Edirol (Roland) M-10MX mixer.

Audio from the MPU-401AT, MT-32, and CM-32L are all routed through the RCA A/V switchbox. The output from the switchbox is routed to the mixer, along with all the other sound cards (Yamaha, AWE64, GUS and Goldlib). This enables me to toggle between any MIDI sources and combine that audio with any digital audio from any other soundcard. I can also combine FM audio from the Goldlib with digital audio from the other cards.

As for hardware config, it is as follows:

Yamaha Audician 32
Address: 220h
IRQ: 5
DMA: 1
FM: 3A8h
MIDI: 300h

AWE64
Address: 240h
IRQ: 7
DMA: 0
FM: 3A8h
MIDI: 310h
EMU8000: 640h

Primax SoundStorm (GUS)
Address: 260h
IRQ: 11
DMA: 7

MPU-401AT
IRQ: 2/9
MIDI: 330h

Goldlib
Address: 388h
IRQ: 3
DMA: disabled

The main consideration is having the Goldlib as the sole 388h address. Though I can set the Yamaha to 388h if I want to use its OPL3 instead.

The other consideration is the BLASTER environment variable. I use batch files depending on if I want one set for the Yamaha or AWE64 cards. Usually just needed for running setup programs that try to autodetect using it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23 of 29, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a shot of the external modules and A/V switch and mixer.

All the wiring is nicely hidden behind the shelves. It's a bit of a mess. 😁

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 24 of 29, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not DMA 3 for the GoldLib? Nothing else should be using it. Also, an interesting CPU for this build would be a UMC 486, if the FPU isn't a requirement.

Cool build!

Reply 26 of 29, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Disruptor wrote on 2024-04-27, 10:59:

You still may add a Covox

Oh, absolutely. I think I have tested this system with the Disney Sound Source at one time.

Haven't tried the Covox Speech Thing yet, but I've got one on hand so I may test it at some point.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 27 of 29, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote on 2024-04-27, 09:52:

Why not DMA 3 for the GoldLib? Nothing else should be using it. Also, an interesting CPU for this build would be a UMC 486, if the FPU isn't a requirement.

Cool build!

Thank you!

You're right that I could set the Goldlib to DMA 3. However in testing some of the games with native Adlib Gold digital audio support, they all default to DMA 1 with no option to change that setting.

I suppose hex-editing the executable might be an option for some of them, but that's admittedly more trouble that I'd want to go through.

I'm not super familiar with the UMC chips although having looked them up they sound interesting. Never owned one though. I think the most exotic 486 I have is a TI 486DLC-40. I've been meaning to try out a system with it one day.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 28 of 29, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on Yesterday, 02:50:

Thank you!

You're right that I could set the Goldlib to DMA 3. However in testing some of the games with native Adlib Gold digital audio support, they all default to DMA 1 with no option to change that setting.

Can you tell me which ones? I might be interested to patch them for myself, considering i'm also using AdLib Gold clone with IRQ:3 DMA:3. Still need to have my card to get the improved firmware and such though.

My experience is that most sound engines (AIL, DIGPAK) will be fine, except if the port is something other than 388h. Microprose games are the ones screwing with me, i haven't understood yet how their sound drivers work.

Reply 29 of 29, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote on Today, 12:51:
Shponglefan wrote on Yesterday, 02:50:

Thank you!

Can you tell me which ones?

It's been awhile since I was testing things, so my memory is fuzzy. I think Lands of Lore and/or Warlords II were a couple that I tested.

I also tested Beneath a Steel Sky, but I don't remember if it had digital audio support for the Gold.

There may have been more, but I was testing a lot of games and I didn't keep track of which had digital audio support.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build