VOGONS

First post, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but had a success with a build today that I thought some of you might find amusing. I wanted something modern-ish that I could use to download software to 360k floppies to use in my IBM 5150. I haven't had any luck in the past, even with motherboards that have an option in the BIOS for 360k (I've found 2 socket 775 boards with this, a Gigabyte and an Abit). I can never seem to get my IBM drive to work with them, until today! Managed to find an ASUS AM2 board that works absolutely fine with an 80's IBM/Tandon TM100. Full specs:

Asus M2N AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ CPU
Palit Fanless GTX 750ti 2GB
8GB Crucial DDR2
Tandon TM100 360k 5.25 Floppy Drive with IBM logo
Samsung SATA Blu-ray Drive
SanDisk SATA SSD
Gamemax 500W PSU
PCI-express USB 3.0 card with header for front ports.
Corsair Vengeance C70 Case

I think the IBM drive looks stunning in its new home next to the Blu-ray drive, what do you all think?

Cheers!

Adam

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Downright awesome look!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by TuesdaysGone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow! I'm loving the NewTro look! 😉 Seriously though, it's awesome and I really like the industrial look too!

Best wishes,

Tony.

ASUS P2B-F 440BX BIOS Rev. 1014 Beta 003
Intel "Katmai" Pentium III 450Mhz
256MB, 80GB, Epson SD-800 Combo FD, Voodoo Banshee 16MB, SB Live, CT7160 MPEG-2 PCI Decoder, 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC, Iomega Zip 100, Creative PC-DVD, Sony CDRW, Win 98SE

Reply 5 of 11, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys I'm glad you like it, this was a fun build! The C70 case really is great I've actually got another one of these in green housing a Pentium 2 / Windows 95 system. They're huge though so take up a lot of space, although this makes them really easy to work on and swap out boards etc.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love it even more!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2023-08-13, 05:51:

I love it even more!

Let us settle it like gentlemen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E 😉

More seriously, I love re-homing old motherboards/GPUs/audio in modern cases with good cooling potential, low noise fans, a decent PSU, overkill CPU cooler, an SSD and a floppy drive. There is something I find pleasing in combining the retro aspect with the best of the modern PC experience.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2023-08-14, 06:39:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-08-13, 05:51:

I love it even more!

Let us settle it like gentlemen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E 😉

😁 Ok, you beat me.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hehe glad you love this machine, although I love it the most! 😛 I knew that drive would look cool in that case but it works even better than I thought! 😍

It's running Windows 8 at the mo just because that was already on the SSD from another PC, which has been fine for grabbing some stuff off the internet and copying onto floppy. I'm planning to wipe this in the near future and dual boot Windows XP and Windows 10. XP for some older games, and 10 for online things so it's all up to date and secure.