VOGONS

First post, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update Sep 9th 2023:
I've completely scrapped the AT case/motherboard. Various little things were annoying me, no working front USB/USB 2.0 speed, no airflow, no room for TI4200 or FX5700, etc. So I've started over with the same CPU and RAM in an ATX case with a Tyan Slot 1 motherboard. I'll post some details and pics later tonight.

Previously this was titled:
K6-3+ 600 Socket 7 System - DISASTER

Aug 29th 3:21AM Update:
So after playing a long session of Quake 3 tonight the machine locked up solid. I powered it off and back on and got nothing, no post, no beeps. I've narrowed it down to either the motherboard or CPU. So I've set everything to the side for now and to fill my Win 98 gaming needs I've pulled out my long ignored Pentium 3 600 machine and swapped all the other bits into it (CF card, sound, video, etc.) and I have to say the P3 is considerably faster than the K6 was. This has also fixed an issue I noticed on the K6 where 3dmark 2001 would bluescreen on the second test every single time. I really wasn't concerned because it's 3dmark and games were working but it does run that test every time now without fail.

Original post:
I've been playing around with some socket 7 stuff for a long time now and got side-tracked and honestly kind of forgot about it for most of this year.

Anyway I've finally got my SS7 system to a point I'm happy with and have been using it regularly to play old Win98 and DOS games lately.

Specs:
ACorp 5ali61 rev D
K6-3+ 600 (modded K6-2+ purchased on ebay)
256MB PC100 CL2 RAM
Radeon 9200 AGP 128MB
LG 52X CD-ROM
Kingston 128GB SD Card
Promise Ultra 133X2
Soundblaster AWE 64
Linksys LNE100 NIC
Techmedia AT case
Coolermaster 460 ATX powersupply with AT adaptor
Win 98SE

Benchmarks:
Quake 3 (1024x768, max detail) - 30.1fps
3dmark 99max - 3301
3dmark 2000 - 3448

EDIT - pics of machine and more benchmark results on the way shortly.

Attachments

• CPU-Z 1.jpg
    Filename
    CPU-Z 1.jpg
    File size
    53.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • CPU-Z 2.jpg
    Filename
    CPU-Z 2.jpg
    File size
    38.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • CPU-Z 3.jpg
    Filename
    CPU-Z 3.jpg
    File size
    38.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • games.jpg
    Filename
    games.jpg
    File size
    100.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • CF speed tests.jpg
    Filename
    CF speed tests.jpg
    File size
    120.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by pete8475 on 2023-09-03, 19:48. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 1 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Internals, front and rear of the computer.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0070.jpg
    File size
    102.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0069.jpg
    File size
    806.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0068.jpg
    File size
    16.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might experiment with an Audigy to see if I can get optical sound output in 98. Right now I use this machine and my XP Xeon system on a DVI switchbox and take optical sound from the XP machine into a usb converter to my main pc so I can hear the sound through my cordless Sony headphones. That machine has an optical in so it would be no problem to daisy chain this to it.

I've also been trying out a lot of old games from the 95/98 era that I didn't play at the time and am looking for suggestions! So if you have any favorites that you don't see in my installed list in the first post, please suggest them!

Reply 3 of 44, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s the fun of over-clocking the K6-3+ CPU. It’s probably the CPU that Died.
I have mine running @ 500mhz and 550mhz. Just fine.
Very reliable.
But I think I need better CPU coolers too.
Try with different CPU to know which component was the problem.

Reply 5 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2023-08-29, 18:49:

@pete8475: What was the voltage set for CPU?

2.1V according to the jumper info I can find online. http://txp4.narod.ru/acorp/5ali61/jumpers.html

Looking at the lid of the CPU it does say 2.0V. I think I set this machine aside because it wasn't posting all the time and I got frustrated with it.

I don't remember putting it to 2.1V but I guess I did trying to get it to work more reliably all those months ago. Oh well.

Reply 6 of 44, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I set my CPUs to what ever the CPU lid reads. I Don’t over voltage as I found there is NO need to Over voltage the K6 CPU.
You can over clock with-out boosting the voltage up.

Reply 7 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-08-29, 20:24:

I set my CPUs to what ever the CPU lid reads. I Don’t over voltage as I found there is NO need to Over voltage the K6 CPU.
You can over clock with-out boosting the voltage up.

TBH I don't even remember setting it to that.

I either did that or the seller said to set it to that, unfortunately too much time has gone by for my old brain to remember and I can't see the details of ebay auctions that old.

Reply 8 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've run 2.0 volt K6-+ CPUs at 2.4 volts with good cooling for years, 2.1 volt shouldn't be a problem at all. I ran my 1.6 volt K6-3+ 400 at 2.4 volts for some time, it survived unscathed. Maybe its life span was reduced, but at this time it still works fine.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-08-29, 21:26:

I've run 2.0 volt K6-+ CPUs at 2.4 volts with good cooling for years, 2.1 volt shouldn't be a problem at all. I ran my 1.6 volt K6-3+ 400 at 2.4 volts for some time, it survived unscathed. Maybe its life span was reduced, but at this time it still works fine.

I think the CPU/mobo was iffy from the start, I probably stopped using it because it wasn't always posting and then subsequently forgot about it for most of the year. I have plenty of other reliable retro gear though so it's no big loss just kind of annoying. Oh well.

It would be nice if any of my usb 2.0 pci cards worked in this P3 though, none of them even show up in device manager.

Reply 10 of 44, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the mobo recapped? All those SS7 mobo were flackey from the start with VIA/Ali chipset and are worst now because of the capacitor plague of their time. On the second pic, although not hires, i see one that may be a little odd on the top close to the CPU.

Reply 11 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xanxi wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:03:

Is the mobo recapped? All those SS7 mobo were flackey from the start with VIA/Ali chipset and are worst now because of the capacitor plague of their time. On the second pic, although not hires, i see one that may be a little odd on the top close to the CPU.

Original caps, all are quite flat on top. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they are good though.

Reply 12 of 44, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe worth a recap.

About the voltage to apply to these CPU, members who gave advices on previous post are probably right with 25 years experience, but at the time i did +0.1 to +0.2V when overclocking my K6-II, then K6-III+ to ensure to get them stable and i got no problem (no more than usual SS7 instability though).

After all, if you are using a Pentium III rig instead, you are loosing nothing. I had AMD at that time because it was the poor man choice and some hardware reviews try and convinced me that K6-II and K6-III were good competitors for Intel but that was terribly wrong. The whole SS7 platform was flawed. K6-III maybe a nice CPU though, but one could enjoy his rig way better with a Pentium II / Pentium III / Celeron.

Reply 13 of 44, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Resetting cmos sometimes solves weird issues like this. Also ram.

Yea,caps and psu are on my mind as possibles.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 14 of 44, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

K6-3+ is good for a "slow", highly adjustable system you can use to throttle between a 386 and a fast PII. Quake3 should be played on something a little newer.

Additionally, 30 year old PSUs need their caps replaced, same for motherboards.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 16 of 44, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2023-08-31, 02:07:

PSU tests good on my tester and is in the P3.

I have about a half dozen of that model of Coolermaster power supply and all have been working reliably since new.

PSU testers test for voltage -- that's it. CPUs are sensitive integrated circuits that require a very clean DC power input. If your voltages read good but the PSU is passing through too much AC ripple, you will have issues. The things you need to inspect are the PSU (in particular, the secondary part which houses the output filter capacitors)and the VRM high and low capacitors. Maybe your gear is up to par, maybe it isn't. But it makes diagnosing much, much easier this way.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 17 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2023-08-31, 03:41:
pete8475 wrote on 2023-08-31, 02:07:

PSU tests good on my tester and is in the P3.

I have about a half dozen of that model of Coolermaster power supply and all have been working reliably since new.

PSU testers test for voltage -- that's it. CPUs are sensitive integrated circuits that require a very clean DC power input. If your voltages read good but the PSU is passing through too much AC ripple, you will have issues. The things you need to inspect are the PSU (in particular, the secondary part which houses the output filter capacitors)and the VRM high and low capacitors. Maybe your gear is up to par, maybe it isn't. But it makes diagnosing much, much easier this way.

I’m not looking for a diagnosis. That modded processor was kind of shit from day one. Earlier today I put a plain k6-2 in the board and it posts 10/10 times, something that “k6-3” never did. Also caps visually look fine in the power supply and the p3 is running without issue.

Anyway the whole point of this post originally was to hopefully get some old game recommendations, so anyone got any suggestions for dos/98 that I should check out?

Reply 18 of 44, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2.1v will not harm that CPU in anyway. Its rated to 2.2v. CPU was probably binned correctly at 570mhz 128k cache or whatever it was to begin with. It seems that the 570mhz run was a good one in terms of clock speed yields but a lot of people reported the 256k L2 cache mod didn't have as good yields and some people reported they couldn't get to 600 stable. You might of got one of Mids in the batch. Not a bad sample but not a great sample either and its just revealing itself as such and it just cant handle the OC + cache mod and is unstable even though it seems to woork.

I would of stress test it with super PI and some other things like that to see if actually is the CPU and not the board.

Reply 19 of 44, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2023-08-31, 05:28:

2.1v will not harm that CPU in anyway. Its rated to 2.2v. CPU was probably binned correctly at 570mhz 128k cache or whatever it was to begin with. It seems that the 570mhz run was a good one in terms of clock speed yields but a lot of people reported the 256k L2 cache mod didn't have as good yields and some people reported they couldn't get to 600 stable. You might of got one of Mids in the batch. Not a bad sample but not a great sample either and its just revealing itself as such and it just cant handle the OC + cache mod and is unstable even though it seems to woork.

I would of stress test it with super PI and some other things like that to see if actually is the CPU and not the board.

The data I have (compiled in the first post of the mod thread) shows that almost all 570s will unlock to 256k and overclock to 600 mhz.

I suspect OP’s board still. Or maybe physical damage of the cpu from the mod. It is possible that the cpu is at fault. But that can be checked by disabling l2 in software if OP can get it to post. Or reversing the mod. And underclocking

The bios sometimes locks up when going back and forth or changing settings on these cpus I have seen this on my motherboards a few times.

Be sure that the bios is updated for these cpus. Check the diy bios modding support thread with Jan.

Anyway, OP has demonstrated that the psu is working on the p3 and so is the rest of the system including I assume cards and ram? (Would have to read back.)

Anyway, at this point, with the discription of the failure as sudden in a game board caps, bios corruption, or cpu physical damage come to mind, though I would expect physical damage to happen while servicing the unit. So less likely with the description.

If OP finds motivation, try the cpu in a different board, and re cap the main board would be my next steps to try.

. Even with a vanilla one working, the plus cpus are different and if the board can’t handle that maybe a different board can.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)