VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-10, 18:28:
Thank you for the benchies. That is what I expect to see especially 5700LE being has working vertex pipelines, more efficient c […]
Show full quote

Thank you for the benchies. That is what I expect to see especially 5700LE being has working vertex pipelines, more efficient chip and this shows, while 5600 has same pipelines yet clocked bit higher than FX5200 (remember 128bit vram) to keep the comparisons same.

Yet in general Geforce FX is screwed up. FX 5600 better but lacking while 5800 and 5900 so expensive yet the 5700 not compatible with older games due to requiring newer drivers.

I stress on newer driver as a reason I asked about, how you were doing with 5700LE on games. I wonder what kind of games that is not compatible with the FX 5700?

Cheers,

Well so far the 5700 is better than the Radeon cards I have for the games I've been trying. Thief and Descent 3 both look right on the Geforce but not the Radeons.

These are the games I have installed right now and all run very nicely. Still looking for my NFS3 and Simcopter discs, I'd like to eventually install those too.

Attachments

• 98 games.png
    Filename
    98 games.png
    File size
    24.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 41 of 44, by darklocket1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wait a minute......🤣, this is crazy!

Are you guys building older machines using spare parts still found on the internet to make windows 98 or other OS's work?

thats wild! and a bit crazy!, but I also get that its a hobby you like.

Personally, Ive gone the VMware way to run older OS when needed for some of my NFS games.

I know of PCem as a software emulator for emulating hardware. Here is the list of Mother Boards it supports
https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/status.html

Reply 43 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darklocket1 wrote on 2023-09-24, 12:57:
wait a minute......LOL, this is crazy! […]
Show full quote

wait a minute......🤣, this is crazy!

Are you guys building older machines using spare parts still found on the internet to make windows 98 or other OS's work?

thats wild! and a bit crazy!, but I also get that its a hobby you like.

Personally, Ive gone the VMware way to run older OS when needed for some of my NFS games.

I know of PCem as a software emulator for emulating hardware. Here is the list of Mother Boards it supports
https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/status.html

You're a dingleberry.

Reply 44 of 44, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I popped in a Startech brand gigabit nic to see if I could get some better transfer speeds to the shared folder on this PC and while it's an improvement it's far from gigabit speeds.

I'm also experimenting with Windows ME on another CF card. I like how much faster it boots than 98 when I have a nic in the computer. Also 98 would sometimes just NOT shutdown on this computer.

Attachments

• blazing fast.png
    Filename
    blazing fast.png
    File size
    9.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain