VOGONS

First post, by CrazyCatman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, no, no, I am not talking about RAM here - I am talking about one of my builds which was build by left-over stuff.
I had the case for a long time coming from a Lenovo 9171-A19/A61 (Type 9171) - seriously the Lenovo model numbers sometimes confuse me - A19 or A61... on the case it says A19, but somewhere I found that it was A61 - aaaaanyway. The motherboard had died but I kept the case and have had various builds in it over time and recently it was empty again.

I had bought a Silverstone case which had been used as a multimedia PC: The case had USB 3 ports but I could see the motherboard was not a model that supported USB 3, so decided that the case would instead be more useful in another build, which I would like more and the motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2, would fit perfectly in the Lenovo mATX case here. It kept the dual core 2.93 GHz Intel Pentium E6500 and stock Intel DTC-AAL03 cooler, it's 2x 2 GB Hynix HYMP125U64CP8-S6AB-C DDR2 RAM and I was originally going to use the graphics card somewhere else, but in the last minute decided to let it keep the 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 8490. But there it also ended with keeping the parts!
The 500 GB harddrive that the home media system was installed with I needed elsewhere and the only thing I could find in my pile that would fit the bill was an 120 GB DiamondMax Plus 9. The case already had a Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology DVD Master 16E Model SD-616 (gotta love the Japanese! Often I see Toshiba and Samsung working together like this) and I also kept the Lenovo's original 280W Delta Electronics DPS-280GB A PSU.
Business machines do have one huge error - noisy fans! So the Lenovo's stock fan was swapped with a 92mm Arctic F9 PWM.

Not only fans are annoying on these, but generally the big boys like HP, Dell and Lenovo (and even MSI on their prebuilds) tend to make their own in-house standards for connectors; oh yeah, the USB connector might fit on some models (HP and MSI I know), but is not always industrial standard connected (OK, in this case the MSI Nightblade I have been working with did in fact have standard USB connector but it also required a specific PSU with a proprietary power connector to the board hosting USB, USB3, audio and switches, HP will often have an extra pin that needs to be grounded). Lenovo has a 12-pin block with 10 wires connected in their own way, the audio uses a 14-pin connector - with a lot of empties! and the front panel (switches and light) also uses a 14-pin connector. Luckily I have found a diagram of Lenovo's in-house connectors and managed to connect wires from the original plugs to the board so everything can be reversed. The front panel I already had made long time ago in my previous builds, but this time I also printed and taped the pinouts to the inside of the case.
If you want to see my big, ol' mess of wires, then here it is:

IMG_20230726_153525.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230726_153525.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File comment
A Gigabyte in a Lenovo - a mess of wires!
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The tiny, blue cables are my wiring - but then, note the blue SATA cable - an original Foxconn Lenovo 😉

Once it was up and running (as the picture indicate with those nice, spinning fans, it was time to install the OS. At first I wanted to just install Windows XP, but since the Lenovo originally was installed with Windows Vista, I decided it was about time I did a Vista installment. The installation went pretty smoothly and after driver installment the 32-bit Windows Vista Business were ready for business - with a 5.2 on the Windows Experience Index I might add. As I recall Vista's maximum is 6.0 (or 5.9?) and with a better hard drive I could get it up at 5.4 since this is definitely not a gaming graphics card.

The setup continues with it's drag by adding the appropriate Lenovo MO28UOL mouse and Lenovo KU-1619 keyboard - and if only I had a Lenovo screen I would be truly happy! (however my wife wouldn't)
Now I just need to find out what to use a fake Lenovo Vista build for... Any ideas?

IMG_20230726_170927.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230726_170927.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File comment
A Lenovo? No - a Gigabyte
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So many computers, so little time...