VOGONS

First post, by SmartSailorTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welcome All,

I present to you my new project Ultimate Windows XP Machine - "Maximus"

Purpose of this project:
1. Dual system computer (Win XP x86 and Win 10 64bit) - ultimate hardware components for Windows XP gaming;
2. All Windows XP games must work at highest settings 60+ fps;
3. Benchmarks;

Components in use:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White) ;
CPU: Intel 4790k - fastest 4 cores for LGA 1150 and for Win XP;
CPU Cooler: Ferra3 RGB ;
RAM: 2x 8GB, Trid DDR3-2400C10D-16GTX CL10-12-12-31 1.65v;
GPU: GTX960 4GB White ( I I plan to test MSI GTX780Ti GAMING 3G, GTX970 and ZOTAC GTX980TI AMP! Extreme-faster then Titan.
Sound Card: Creative SB0880 X-Fi Titanium;
PSU: Corsair CX750F RGB White;
HDD: 2xSSD: Crucial MX500 500GB and Plextor PX-512M8VC+;
Blu Ray: Pioneer BDR-212EBK;
CASE: ZALMAN Z3 Plus White;

"Maximus" is ready, powered by GTX 960 4GB, I dont see any problems/errors with 4GB of RAM and 4GB of VRAM working in x32bit system at same time.

Attachments

Last edited by SmartSailorTV on 2023-11-11, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by SmartSailorTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP installation.
Original Windows XP disk and rufus usb doesnt work. I used Easy2Boot method with ISO from E2B page (en_win_xp_pro_vl_with_sp3_x86_aug2018.iso). Next snappy driver, creative sound drivers from Daniel_K's Official Blog, GPU drivers from NVIDIA official page ( plus ahcipp32.dll and asahxp32.sys from internet).

Devices with missing drivers:
Ethernet Controller (LAN socket) not working but second one works well, (if somebody want to use internet - I want , becouse I want to post my 3dmark scores) .
"AMDA00 Interface" -( temperature sensor ) shows fault, but I dont know is it working or not.
And that all, I was suprised that only those 2 drivers were missing.

Dual boot: I`m entering Boot Menu during start and selecting a boot device with proper system.

I failed in one subject: I did not find drivers for igpu ( 4600HD). Every installation of intel igpu in Windows XP coused black screen after restart. I wanted to compare this igpu (4600HD+DDR3 2400mhz) with HD3850 GDDR3 🙁.

Attachments

• devices.jpg
    Filename
    devices.jpg
    File size
    763.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 13, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool Specs and a lovely looking machine!

I'm in the process of building a Haswell XP machine (Asus Gryphon Z87, 4770K). I've not chosen a GPU yet.

I too have the same issue with the "AMDA00 Interface" not installing on mine either. Snappy Drive throws an error. Its the only device that didn't install on my machine. Would be interesting if anyone knows how to reseolve it. Don't think it poses an issue but it would be nice to have a Device manager with no warnings 😁

Reply 3 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm both mildly impressed by these ultimate machines and at the same time bored by them. Recently someone posted a similar SFF project designed around an ITX case. I find them more interesting. They are high performers for any XP era game maxed out in high resolution, but at the same time "just a normal PC" with nothing else going for them. Simple and effective that's "just works", and if I were to build one, I'd probably chose to do something like this myself instead of a quirky and interesting one and probably that's why I find them underwhelming.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ITX is too limiting, because there is no slot for Sound Blaster.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 13, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SmartSailorTV wrote on 2023-11-11, 00:45:
Welcome All, […]
Show full quote

Welcome All,

I present to you my new project Ultimate Windows XP Machine - "Maximus"

Purpose of this project:
1. Dual system computer (Win XP x86 and Win 10 64bit)

to be honest i'd end up just using Win 10 all the time 😀

still, for those 'eax' or other games better served by XP i'm sure it'll fly along very fast and it is handy having multiple OSes on one machine

Reply 6 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-14, 15:21:

If the board is ITX, then yes. But that's why I find these boards extremely interesting:

Biostar-H61MGV3.jpg

These are just large enough that they fit into ITX cases with dual slot. The SFF project I was mentioning also has one:

SFF Ultimate Windows XP Machine (<10 liters, 4790k, 980 Ti, X-Fi Titanium)

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 8 of 13, by SmartSailorTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-15, 04:46:
If the board is ITX, then yes. But that's why I find these boards extremely interesting: […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-14, 15:21:

If the board is ITX, then yes. But that's why I find these boards extremely interesting:

Biostar-H61MGV3.jpg

These are just large enough that they fit into ITX cases with dual slot. The SFF project I was mentioning also has one:

SFF Ultimate Windows XP Machine (<10 liters, 4790k, 980 Ti, X-Fi Titanium)

Well, I love SFF 😀 My PS2PC Project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHvP7Wkr8o&l … 1SVvJm_vgkc77iq

Attachments

• ps2prototype.jpg
    Filename
    ps2prototype.jpg
    File size
    175.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 13, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SmartSailorTV wrote on 2023-11-15, 13:45:

this is great! if i had that i would just have to have a PS2 emulator playing whenever someone visited!

Reply 11 of 13, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should go with a 13/14th gen Intel CPU and maybe a 980Ti... I mean if it's possible why not go for the best hardware in a "ultimate" setup ? Otherwise I like very much the Haswell generation, there are some motherboards very retro friendly with „IDE compatibility mode” option. I was able to install Windows NT 3.1 on a H81 motherboard from Asus.

My next setup will include a socket 1700 motherboard with 4 PCI slots.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 12 of 13, by SmartSailorTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OMORES wrote on 2023-11-15, 22:06:

You should go with a 13/14th gen Intel CPU and maybe a 980Ti... I mean if it's possible why not go for the best hardware in a "ultimate" setup ? Otherwise I like very much the Haswell generation, there are some motherboards very retro friendly with „IDE compatibility mode” option. I was able to install Windows NT 3.1 on a H81 motherboard from Asus.

There is not big problem to find WinXP drivers for Haswell motherboards and other hardware from this generation ( but only 3rd gen is fully supported ) . Win XP on 13/14 gen machine??? (REMOVED?) wow...

Reply 13 of 13, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2023-11-15, 22:06:

AM4 or bust 😜
file.php?mode=view&id=178769

Attachments