VOGONS

First post, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired this motherboard:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6LX7#ov

I really like it as it has all 3 slots - ISA, PCI and AGP.

its a socket 370 but website says only supports Celeron? It appears it only has FSB of 66Mhz. if I stick a 500Mhz FSB100 P3 in it, would it work ? just at slower FSB?

Also, I need to replace all caps (my first time doing this), I assume I need to get exact same measure / spec capacitors? Is there a generic set I can buy or basically take them all out and write down what each one is and then purchase individually?

thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 10, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The chipset is an Intel 440LX, so the newest/fastest you can run on it is a Celeron Mendocino @533MHz.

If you want to live dangerously and your motherboard allows you, you could overclock the bus to 75 or 83MHz.

Since the multiplier on those processors is locked, in order to push it to the limits, you would need a slower processor (e.g. 433MHz - 66x6.5) that could be overclocked to ~533MHz. Mendocinos become unstable beyond 550MHz.

With a good video card, maybe a Voodoo 3, that's a good computer for almost everything from the 1990s.

Reply 3 of 10, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Omarkoman wrote on 2024-01-06, 22:44:

Thank you!!!

You're welcome, friend.

Omarkoman wrote on 2024-01-06, 19:15:

Also, I need to replace all caps (my first time doing this), I assume I need to get exact same measure / spec capacitors?
Is there a generic set I can buy or basically take them all out and write down what each one is and then purchase individually?

If the caps look OK and the motherboard performs correctly, I would keep it that way and use it like that.

To recap a board you need a good soldering station/soldering iron with the proper tip, a desoldering station/gun or pump, and enough practice to do it well. You should start with boards you don't mind damaging beyond repair, it could happen.

You need caps with the same capacitance (µF) and the same or higher voltage rating. Size is important too. Ripple current also matters. You can find all this info on your caps datasheet. There are some good brands and many bad ones...

Reply 4 of 10, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks, the motherboard definitely needs the capacitors replaced as some are bursted so might as well give it a go. I have bought a semi expensive soldering station with various tips and pump as well as few practice kits to have a go at it first. I hope I wont damage it , I am fairly handy and despite first time electronics soldering I am sure it will be ok.

Reply 5 of 10, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 83Mhz FSB is maybe unstable. It 's related to the PCI card you are using.
For max. Celeron speed i would propose one of these 2 settings:

Celeron 433 Mhz: overcolocked @83Mhz (if all is stable) . = 539Mhz.

Celeron 466 Mhz: overcolocked @75Mhz (if all is stable) . = 525Mhz.

The 500Mhz version will probably fail with 75MhzFSB.
I had an intel BX woard with dual socket 370 in the past. This was very unique during that time. (Abit BP6)
Had a stable clock @ 2x 525Mhz dual celeron running.
But during that time, there was only one game taking profit of 2 cpu's: Quake3 (smp=2 !!! )

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 7 of 10, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though it's a 440LX, it may be possible to run a Katmai Pentium III in the board. I have an Asus P2L97 board, and it will accept Katmai PIII's up to the 550MHz/100MHz version with the latest BIOS. No Pentium III's are listed as supported by Asus, either, but yet it works since the Katmai is all but a rebadged Pentium II with SSE. Your board might be able to do the same (or better). It's worth a shot. It runs fine with 75MHz bus. 83MHz was tougher as I needed an AGP card that would put up with being so far out of spec. A Voodoo 3000 and 5500 runs OK, but a 4500 was not as resilient.

Had the board been Slot 1, that is... heh.

Last edited by Meatball on 2024-01-10, 00:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Omarkoman wrote on 2024-01-10, 00:35:

Isnt katmai slot 1 though?

Would this cpu be wort a try?

https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3R3.html … google_vignette

I'm Sorry.. I clicked the link in your post last week, but I forgot to click it today when I replied, ha! Yes, it's slot 1 only.

Here are overclocking guides for Celeron, instead:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ce … -guide,218.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/449

Check this Vogon's post for help with Coppermine:
440LX and Coppermine