VOGONS

First post, by SEGStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is one of my 'not so old' PCs:

Windows 10 x32 works surprisingly well, but Win10 x64 was unable to install for some odd reason.
The machine has Athlon x2 4600+ CPU, GA-K8NS Ultra-939, Nvidia 6800 AGP x8 video, 512 GB SSD (SATA), 4 GB DDR RAM and some additional hardware (Labtec webcam, which works with Vista driver, some audio & midi devices).
I installed some Vista drivers, but because Nvidia never released NForce 3 drivers for Vista, Win7, Win8 or Win10 officially, I ran into some issues.
Most notably, after one graphics demo (3D Mark 03 for example), I am getting a blue screen. Also, USBs don't work (but they work with XP x32 on another HDD).

Does anyone have some beta drivers for NForce 3 chipsets?

Attachments

• NForce3.png
    Filename
    NForce3.png
    File size
    40.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 11, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bZbZbZ wrote on 2024-01-15, 03:44:

Nice system... I think this would be better suited to Windows XP and Windows 98/ME. Actually this would be one of the fastest possible motherboards for Windows 98/ME.

Agreed, socket 939 is Windows XP era.

Would a Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9 be any good? (I can grab one for $20) or is the OP’s motherboard way better?

Reply 4 of 11, by SEGStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-01-15, 09:35:
bZbZbZ wrote on 2024-01-15, 03:44:

Nice system... I think this would be better suited to Windows XP and Windows 98/ME. Actually this would be one of the fastest possible motherboards for Windows 98/ME.

Agreed, socket 939 is Windows XP era.

Would a Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9 be any good? (I can grab one for $20) or is the OP’s motherboard way better?

It is XP era, because NVidia decided to force us to buy their newer chipsets. Otherwise, NForce 3 Ultra is fast enough and if NVidia didn't remove the beta drivers and instead continued to develop them, who would buy NForce 4? Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9 is NForce 4 and it is not faster than my MB. It just has PCI-E slot instead of AGP and there are newer drivers. Damn politic decisions!

Reply 5 of 11, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the time it was definitely disappointing that nVidia didn't continue development of nForce 3 drivers. At the present I wouldn't be too upset... a separate Core 2 based system (almost free these days) would massively outperform anything on socket 939 when it comes to Windows 7/8/10/11. Yes it's annoying to not have everything in one system... but for myself (I also have an nForce 3 based socket 939 Athlon X2 running Windows XP) I appreciate the platform as a great XP system.

Reply 6 of 11, by SEGStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, when compared to the same generation Intel CPUs, they are better in some cases, while Athlons are better in other, as always. And they really make all the chips, motherboards and adapters like that - there is no single case when one component is better than another one in every tests. For example, for some odd reason some inferior video can be better in some particular area than the flagship from the next generation (or even further generations).
So, because we don't have good drivers for NForce 3 chipsets, they perform worse than they can in newer Windows OSes. But it doesn't mean that they cannot do it better, just because someone didn't want to support them.

Reply 7 of 11, by Nuka-Cola Quantum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i search a long time but never found one GA-K8NS Ultra-939 you are lucky

Zalman Z-Machine GT1000|CPU Athlon 64 FX-60 |MB Asus A8V-Deluxe|RAM 4x512MB Corsair XMS Pro DDR400 |SSD 1x Transcend PSD330 128GB IDE |GPU HIS HD3850 IceQ 3 Turbo AGP + Changeling 3dfx V5500 PCI |Sound Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 11, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can take a look here https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/nvidia-opti … r-win7-10/21787, never tried anything newer than Win7-64, but the drivers from that page always worked well for me.

Reply 10 of 11, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. AGP support is removed from Win10 Anniversary update (1607) and newer. It will display, but not accelerate 3D. If you absolutely must, try installing one of the earliest builds or Win8.1.
2. You are trying to run incompatible OS/chipset combination. There are no "some Vista drivers" for nF3, not even beta ones, only force-installing XP drivers is an option. Hence USB issues, PHY issues, etc etc

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 11 of 11, by SEGStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-01-31, 09:52:

1. AGP support is removed from Win10 Anniversary update (1607) and newer. It will display, but not accelerate 3D. If you absolutely must, try installing one of the earliest builds or Win8.1.
2. You are trying to run incompatible OS/chipset combination. There are no "some Vista drivers" for nF3, not even beta ones, only force-installing XP drivers is an option. Hence USB issues, PHY issues, etc etc

Did you check the drivers that were posted some days ago?