VOGONS

First post, by agniusm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i bought this computer from 93. Looked up spec and went for it for 80 quid. Was full system with, i believe 13" crt,keyboard and mouse. Took it appart by bit, cleaned it up. Discovered that it is fitted with 486 100MHz overdrive cpu. I have also discovered that it came with MCA slots rather than all known ISA, ouch it was, cause hdd has bad sectors and probably will die soon. Went on investigation and ordered ZZXIO McIDE-CF and also for some audio, David Larsson's Latest Sound Blaster Replica which also has joystick port.
This will be mainly DOS machine with windows 3.11.
The keyboard does not work. Checked caps, cable continuity, all good. Ordered same IC, will try to replace it and see if that was the problem. Any ideas of what might be wrong? LED's light up, but keyboard is not detected? Had to design and 3d print feed for it as one was missing.
Another issue i have is i dont have bios floppy. Anyone had any info of where to get it? I will try youtuber TIBo's retro computers, he might have it.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agniusm wrote on 2024-01-12, 16:21:
So i bought this computer from 93. Looked up spec and went for it for 80 quid. Was full system with, i believe 13" crt,keyboard […]
Show full quote

So i bought this computer from 93. Looked up spec and went for it for 80 quid. Was full system with, i believe 13" crt,keyboard and mouse. Took it appart by bit, cleaned it up. Discovered that it is fitted with 486 100MHz overdrive cpu. I have also discovered that it came with MCA slots rather than all known ISA, ouch it was, cause hdd has bad sectors and probably will die soon. Went on investigation and ordered ZZXIO McIDE-CF and also for some audio, David Larsson's Latest Sound Blaster Replica which also has joystick port.
This will be mainly DOS machine with windows 3.11.
The keyboard does not work. Checked caps, cable continuity, all good. Ordered same IC, will try to replace it and see if that was the problem. Any ideas of what might be wrong? LED's light up, but keyboard is not detected? Had to design and 3d print feed for it as one was missing.
Another issue i have is i dont have bios floppy. Anyone had any info of where to get it? I will try youtuber TIBo's retro computers, he might have it.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Plenty of info / downloads here (you already seem to be on the latest BIOS) - https://www.ardent-tool.com/Olivetti/M6-5x0.html

Reply 2 of 2, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congrats on your purchase.
As for the keyboard socket, have you checked the solder joints?

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!