VOGONS

First post, by rakun86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello my fellow Vogoners, yet again Im in need of your wisdom 😀

I recently purchased a Compaq Deskpro En SSF. I really liked the way it was build, the ease of access to the components and the fact that it is small.
I realize that it is better suited for Win98 or 2000 but as i already have a Win 98 (PIII 550, Ati 128pro, V2 SLI, Sb Live, Awe64 Gold) and I hold no nostalgia for 2000, ive decided to make this an early WinXP machine.
For me its really more about the build than the games but i would like to play some 2002-2005 games (KOTOR, Morrowind, NFS Underground, GTA: Vice City).
Ive upgraded it with some parts that I already had so the current specs are:
PIII 1000mhz (i do intend to change that with a Tualatin 1.4 when I find one)
512 mb
USB pci card
120 HDD
LG DVD from the era.

The drawbacks of this machine is that it has no AGP and its PSU is only 120w. My Deskpro does not have a GPU integrated (other than the one on the intel chipset).
What PCI GPU would you recommend keeping in mind the weak PSU? (ive read the post here, most recomend an FX5500 or 9250)
The ones that i can buy now locally are:
Matrox Parhelia - 256mb PCI-X (not sure if I could even squeeze this in the case)
ATI 9250 - 128mb, 64bit
Zotac 6200A - 512mb, 64bit passive cooling (this one is a bit more expensive than the first two since its new or unused)
Or should i wait for something better to appear?

Also the system has an integrated sound system/speaker that is decent sounding and theres no need for additional speakers though i would like to put a sound card as well to be able to plug speakers sometimes.
What sound card would you recommend and can the PSU power that as well?

Last edited by rakun86 on 2024-01-23, 21:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Deskpro EN SFF doesn't have B-stepping chipset and doesn't support Tualatin CPUs.
2. The listed games and the system specs don't click unless you are aiming for miserable 640x480 experience.
3. PCI video cards underperform and tend to be overpriced. Matrox anything is no-go for games of specified time period.
4. To more or less smoothly play Morrowind and those other games in 1024x768 you are looking at a Pentium 4 with no less that 6600GT.

In short I think you should step back and plan your build again. This system would be a total disappointment since you already got a P3/V2SLI rig.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 2 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Parhelia PCI-X - isn't that a 64-bit card, i.e. longer than the PCI slots?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to echo Bruno128's comment: targeting games up to the mid-2000's with a year 2000 PC will not be good.

Especially since you mention a lack of AGP which is going further limit GPU choices and performance.

A Pentium 4/Athlon XP would be a much better option for an early WinXP build.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 9, by rakun86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn, i really wanted a Tualatin in this rig, guess im stuck with Coppermine 1000Mhz.
The parhelia is longer, about 18cm so its on the edge if I can fit it in the case or not.

Anyway, forget about the listed games... as I said for me its more about the build. I can always play the games on another rig.
How can I max the rig?
Any recomendations about the GPU with considerations of 120W psu? Does the Zotac 6000A makes any sense with this rig and 1Ghz of CPU? Or something else?
What about the Sound card?

Btw, I do intend to keep the XP on it.

Reply 5 of 9, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rakun86 wrote on 2024-01-23, 21:26:

Anyway, forget about the listed games... as I said for me its more about the build. I can always play the games on another rig.
How can I max the rig?

1. You seem to have no idea for the build applications so it’s directionless, but,
2. Since you don’t game, i752 is really not a bad IGP for its age. Adding Radeon 9250 would upgrade you from ok-ish Quake 2 experience to ok-ish Quake3 experience.
3. Top coppermine 1.13GHz will be very difficult to find and has minimal gain vs 1.00.
4. Maxed 512MB RAM is a nice amount for 2001 but because of its speed the system would not be super responsive.
5. CPU TDP is sub-40W, wouldn’t worry about that PSU load, if only for caps, filtering, etc.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 6 of 9, by rakun86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help. Saved me from buying a Tualatin and not being able to use it.
I think ill have to repurpose the pc for early 2000 games that my V2SLi rig is not running great.
So the 9250 is better or more suited for this rig compared to Zotac 6200A?
Any sugestions on the sound card?
- Audigy 2 0160
- Audigy 2 ZS
- X-fi gamer 0730
- Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
These I can source locally. Or a regular SB Live?

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Each of the Creative cards are basically later revisions of a SB Live! from "best to worse"
I don't see any reasons not to go with the latest card, only reason not to go with the X-Fi is if the drivers are too heavy for a P3, never tried, Audigy 2 ZS is defiantly fine though and probably good match for games that'll work on a P3

SBLive
Audigy 0160
Audigy 2 ZS
X-Fi Gamer

Reply 8 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd second the recommendation for the Audigy 2 ZS. I had one in my XP build for a while and it's a solid card.

Now granted it's best with games that can take advantage of it's more advanced EAX 4 support, but there are still a lot of EAX 1/2 games that should work on this setup.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards