VOGONS

First post, by TLW728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I've been an active reader for years but have never posted until now, so I hope you all enjoy my inaugural contribution: my first Pentium-1 build!

Firstly, I have some prior experience with retro computers. I own a dozen of systems that I've collected over many years, ranging from the original IBM PC 5150 to Pentium-4 and newer machines. However, until now, I've never owned a Pentium-1 machine. So, I thought it would be fun to build one from scratch.

I have an Olivetti M4 Modulo 90 machine lying around, which was incomplete. I plan to use it as the base for my new system:

OlivettiM4front.jpg
Filename
OlivettiM4front.jpg
File size
333.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
OlivettiM4CaseFront.jpg
Filename
OlivettiM4CaseFront.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
OlivettiM4CaseRear.jpg
Filename
OlivettiM4CaseRear.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
OlivettiM4PSU.jpg
Filename
OlivettiM4PSU.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The case is an Olivetti TIN/II, with a 200W AT style power supply, and it has no reset button.

The machine features a TriGem Torino motherboard: A Socket 5 motherboard with an internal floppy interface, two IDE interfaces, PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports, serial and parallel ports, and most importantly, an onboard VGA graphics card—a Trident TGUI9660 with 2MB of video RAM.

TriGemTorinoMotherboard.jpg
Filename
TriGemTorinoMotherboard.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It also has 256KB of L2 cache, expandable to 512KB, although the chips are missing from my motherboard. It supports up to 4 ISA slots and up to 2 PCI slots.

The main chipset is a SiS 85C501, which supports the Pentium P54C architecture and up to 66MHz FSB. Currently, it comes with a Pentium-90 SX968 cpu (60MHz FSB). I plan to upgrade to a slightly more powerful Pentium-166 SY037, which will allow me to set a 66MHz FSB speed, although I'm unsure if a 166MHz clock speed would be attainable without some modding.

My primary use for this system will be late MS-DOS games and early Windows games that doesn't require 3D capabilities. For the final build, I'm considering the following specs:

• 512KB L2 cache memory to allow up to 64 MB of Write-Back cacheable RAM (currently fitted with 48MB)
• Pentium-166 processor (non-MMX) at 166MHz speed (if possible)
• SCSI system, instead of IDE, for hard drive, I will use an Adaptec AHA-2940UW
• IBM DDRS-39130 9GB SCSI hard drive
• Tandberg SLR 5 QIC tape drive, supporting from 60MB QIC tapes to 8GB (compressed) SLR QIC tapes
• Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold (with its SPDIF bracket)
• Samsung CD-Master Model SC-125 56x CD-ROM drive
• 3.5" floppy drive
• 100MB PCI Ethernet card
• Dual boot MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 with Windows 98 SE. At first, I considered Windows 95 OSR 2.5, but It hasn't built in support for the QIC Tape drive, so I discarded that option.

I hope you all find interesting this build, and also suggestions are welcomed! I'll provide updates on the building process as soon as I have some time.

Reply 1 of 5, by TLW728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some photos of the components that I’m planning to use:
The SCSI Card is an Adaptec AHA-2940UW, an OEM part from IBM originally sourced from a Pentium-2 IBM Server:

AdaptecAHA2940UW.jpg
Filename
AdaptecAHA2940UW.jpg
File size
920.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The SCSI hard disk I'm going to use is an IBM DDRS-39130, with approximately 9GB of capacity. It has been tested and is in working order. It also comes from the same Pentium-2 Server.

IBMDDRS39130.jpg
Filename
IBMDDRS39130.jpg
File size
782.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The QIC tape drive is a brand-new Tandberg SLR-5 tape drive, never used before:

TandbergSLR5.jpg
Filename
TandbergSLR5.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 2 of 5, by TLW728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more photos of the components.
A PCI ethernet card with the Realtek RTL8029AS chip, a very common card.

Realtek8029AS.jpg
Filename
Realtek8029AS.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The CD-ROM drive, a Samsung CD-Master SC-125:

SamsungSC125.jpg
Filename
SamsungSC125.jpg
File size
519.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And the sound card that I’m planning to use, an original Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold:

AWE64Gold.jpg
Filename
AWE64Gold.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm not sure if it's worth expanding the sound card's onboard RAM to load soundfonts larger than the 4MB RAM that the card comes with. I have never used soundfonts, so it’s a new world for me to experiment with!

Reply 3 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an interesting looking build! I don't think I've seen a case that didn't have a reset button.

I'd also be curious to know how the on-board Trident chip performs. I guess since you're already planning to use both PCI slots for other cards, a different video card wouldn't be an option anyway.

AWE64 is a solid sound card for mid 90s gaming. Have fun with experimenting with that one. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What software backup will you be using?
Never really played with tape drives on non NT based versions of windows and even then, MS Backup was pretty average at least for "proper use" on a business server.

Reply 5 of 5, by TLW728

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-27, 15:50:

That's an interesting looking build! I don't think I've seen a case that didn't have a reset button.

I'd also be curious to know how the on-board Trident chip performs. I guess since you're already planning to use both PCI slots for other cards, a different video card wouldn't be an option anyway.

AWE64 is a solid sound card for mid 90s gaming. Have fun with experimenting with that one. 😀

That’s right! Initially, I considered using a PCI video card or a 3D accelerator. However, I ultimately decided to opt for SCSI and Ethernet PCI cards. Given that I already have better systems for 3D games, this seemed like the more practical choice.

chinny22 wrote on 2024-02-28, 00:55:

What software backup will you be using?
Never really played with tape drives on non NT based versions of windows and even then, MS Backup was pretty average at least for "proper use" on a business server.

For backups, I plan to utilize MS Backup, as it comes with Windows 98, and it should be theoretically compatible with my tape drive. As for Windows 3.11, I intend to use Seagate Backup Exec 5.5. It appears to have similar functionality to MS Backup and may be even compatible with it.

In the meantime, I've ordered eight IS61C512 512KB SRAM chips for the cache memory bank. Once I receive these chips, I'll provide an update to see if the PC functions correctly with them.