VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey all,

I am about to retire my super socket 7 build (running DOS and Windows 98SE right now) and am thinking of a replacement.

I have this very nice blue Gigabyte GA-6OXT board with a Tualatin Celeron 1.3 GHz processor and 512MB of RAM. It occured to me that I could build a relatively good blue themed system around this board that would blow that K6-2 out of the water. I don't think I have any blue video or sound cards at the moment. I had a blue Hercules 3D Prophet Geforce 2 GTS 64MB back in the day but this card would probably be a little bit weak. As far as sound cards go, I have an Audigy 2 ZS Gold for example but it's black.

Any ideas for video/sound cards? I'm not looking to build THE best socket 370 system, just a decent one for not too much cash.

As for the case, I'm looking at Fractal Design Focus G in blue and with a window.

Focus-G_-Petrol-Blue_1.jpg
Filename
Focus-G_-Petrol-Blue_1.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Half-Saint on 2024-03-11, 06:06. Edited 1 time in total.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 26, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A geforce 4200 would smoke very game up to 2001 and would be a perfect match for this system together with 98SE. If it is hard to find or expensive a geforce 6600 standard would provide an even bigger performance at a lower cost. I do not know much about sound cards but I think Creative live would be a very good choice for 98SE.

Reply 2 of 26, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aopen made blue sound cards. I have one with a yamaha chip. Aopen Cobra.
And I also have a blue FX5900 Witch I think is Gigabyte, but they are both stored away, so I have no pictures.

Edit: the fx5900 is a chaintech.

Last edited by tannerstevo on 2024-03-08, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 26, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hercules Fortissimo 4 is also blue. But i am not sure how good it is on W98 games.

98743656.jpg

Edit:
Just remembered, also i have an FX5500 which is quite good for W98 build.
Looks just like this but with blue pcb:
s-l400.jpg
I havent checked the prices lately but they are quite common so probably they dont cost a fortune

Last edited by psychofox on 2024-03-08, 06:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 26, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only listing what would fit this system:

Blue sound cards:
Sound Vision SV550 (Yamaha)
AOpen cobra aw-850 (CMI8738)
Some audiophile stuff but that’s not exactly for games.

Blue video cards:
Some gigabyte (GA-660) and Abit siluro (GF4MX) models.
Hercules 3D prophet (Kyro)
Blue voodoo2 exists as well (by ProVideo)

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 7 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IBM already confused ppl, with the 486 DX2 following on from the supercharged 386 SLC3/BL3 ...

file.php?id=158959&mode=view

That's actually running in SL2/BL2 mode 2x multi there.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 26, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There, fixed the title 😀

Lodge_ wrote on 2024-03-08, 06:18:
psychofox wrote on 2024-03-08, 05:52:

Hercules Fortissimo 4 is also blue. But i am not sure how good it is on W98 games.

I have Hercules Muse 5.1 in my W98 build and it works fine, and yes, it's blue.

I actually found a Muse sound card in one of the boxed the other day 😀 Although I might still go with Audigy 2 ZS as I have an X-Fi front panel and always wanted to use it.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 9 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could maybe go for Blue Thunder, which was a "what if we crossed CHiPs and Airwolf" 80s TV show .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZQIf6YB7E

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 26, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scratch my scratch that.

Ok, someone less distracted - this would fit that board, right?

g5nic.jpg
Filename
g5nic.jpg
File size
126.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Because I found a '98 driver that supports the BCM5703 chipset.

Reply 12 of 26, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-03-11, 19:37:

It says Apple Computer on the card so I'm guessing that's an Apple card. The slot connector is definitely not for the PC.

It's standard PCI-X, nothing proprietary. A perfectly normal connector for PC's of the era, not just Macs. And yes, it's an Apple card - but if you're not needing it at boot time, that shouldn't matter.

In the interests of time, here's a HP PCI-X card using the same chip. Sadly however, only Apple made it in blue.

hpnic.jpg
Filename
hpnic.jpg
File size
54.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny enough I have an Albatron blue GF4 Ti 4600 that spoils my green themed P3.
Would be perfect for your build not exactly cheap though.

I really like this idea though!

Reply 14 of 26, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will that pcix card even work in a normal pci slot? Is it in any way backwards compatible?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 15 of 26, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-12, 05:08:

Will that pcix card even work in a normal pci slot? Is it in any way backwards compatible?

It *should* be. Most PCI-X cards are compatible with standard 32bit. The BCM5703 chipset is also listed as natively supporting PCI32 in addition to 64 bit PCI-X. That said, there's always a chance that something will not work, this is 20 year old vintage hardware from the days where two brands of PC would barely co-exist, let alone two competing platforms.

Reply 16 of 26, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-03-12, 09:31:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-12, 05:08:

It *should* be. Most PCI-X cards are compatible with standard 32bit. The BCM5703 chipset is also listed as natively supporting PCI32 in addition to 64 bit PCI-X. That said, there's always a chance that something will not work, this is 20 year old vintage hardware from the days where two brands of PC would barely co-exist, let alone two competing platforms.

So really, there just needs to be room for the rest of the edge connector to not hit anything on the mainboard? Cool!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 18 of 26, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-12, 13:54:

So really, there just needs to be room for the rest of the edge connector to not hit anything on the mainboard? Cool!

I'm about 80% confident. Which is pretty low to be fair, but they're like €20 on eBay right now so at least it's not silly money if it doesn't work out. And if it doesn't work out, it's the specific card and motherboard - not a general PCI-X/PCI compatibility issue!

And it's the only blue PCI gigabit nic I found. 😁

Reply 19 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This project is different enough to really catch my interest.
Seems like Albatron made a number of blue graphic cards so may be able to get something more within your price range.

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-11, 15:25:

Could maybe go for Blue Thunder, which was a "what if we crossed CHiPs and Airwolf" 80s TV show .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZQIf6YB7E

Show about flying police motorbikes!? 80's me would have loved that! hell, I'm now in my 40's and probably still watch it 😉