VOGONS

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is OpenGlide still being developed?

I was using it to play the Glide version of Tomb Raider, in conjunction with the Daum SVN version of DOSBox, but I discovered that it has some depth rendering issues. Objects are occasionally visible when they should be hidden by the parts of the level in the foreground.

Medpacks on top of pillars are visible from the ground and after opening the three gates in Tomb of Qualopec, the statues in the alcoves which line the staircase are visible through the walls.

Reply 1 of 3, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using it with Tomb Raider on Linux, along with Dosbox SVN and the glide patch.

Polygons are not shaded. This problem can be worked around by starting a new game or going to Lara's house. Something about doing that causes the game, for some reason, to suddenly understand that polygons should be shaded.

Unfortunately I can only use this workaround for Tomb Raider, not Unfinished business. Starting a new game on it doesn't help with the problem (I wonder if it's because TR has FMVs at that point and UB doesn't).

Of course I have no idea whether it's the Glide patch or Openglide that has the problem and I suspect people from each side will blame it on the other one.

Reply 3 of 3, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I tried that and it does fix the problem.

I still get the other problems that I described at the end of the Glide patch thread:
-- Running Tomb Raider or anything else that uses Glide and exiting leaves me in a Dosbox window where I can't see anything. It's completely black, but I can still run programs or exit.
-- Specifically running Tomb Raider and going to Lara's home or a new game (that is, the same things that worked around the other problem) causes exiting the game to crash Dosbox, rather than stay in Dosbox and produce a black screen.
-- Something I didn't report before: Going to full screen means the FMVs play at around 1 frame every 5 seconds. Playing in a 1280x960 window, however, plays them at full speed. It doesn't matter whether I use alt-enter to go to fullscreen or start in fullscreen. output=opengl or surface doesn't matter either. Nor does removing the [glide] section in dosbox.conf matter.