VOGONS

How to fix RB3D crashes with Radeon 9700?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jammer,

Are you saying that as long as AA and/or AF are not enabled in the OpenGL tab of the Display Properties/Advanced window, then on your machine the CAT 3.1 drivers work with Glidos without crashing when you exit a mission? If so, I would be interested in knowing your machine and OS specs (I saw the specs in your sig but it doesn't specify your OS) since I cannot get the CAT 3.1 drivers to work for me even with no AA or AF and 16bit desktop. I am using WinXP Pro with SP1. When I complete a mission or hit the escape key with the CAT 3.1 drivers loaded, I always crash when my desktop is set to 16bit. and my screen always hard locks before displaying the menu that allows you to exit the mission when my desktop is set to 32bit. This hard lock can only be fixed by a reboot of my machine.

In reference to AA and AF in RB3D - as far as I know, 16bit OpenGL in the CAT 3.1 drivers do not work with these options enabled. At least for me in IL-2, when I enable AA and AF in 16bit OpenGL, I do not see the results. If I enable AA and AF in 16bit D3D mode, I do see the changes. I believe that 16bit AA and AF only work in D3D. Since Glidos only translates Glide calls to OpenGL calls and not D3D calls, how can AA and AF work in RB3D with the CAT 3.1 drivers and Glidos?

Thanks for your help.

Monte

Last edited by BMSliger on 2003-03-03, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woops yes sorry CATs! Years of torture from NVidia made me do it 😁

OK well I tried the Cat 3.1 again last night and it definitely doesn't work for me AT ALL.
AA or AF off doesn't help.

BTW on my control panel for Cat 3.1 the options for AA/AF are "Application Preference" or 2X, 4X etc, there isn't an actual off.

Jammer are you using any tweaking programs with some options on/off?

Likewise I didn't think they enabled AA in 16 Bit OpenGL yet.

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce 4 motherboard
2GB Ballastix DDR500 memory
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 42 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got Cat 3.1 working with RB3D and Glidos! 😎

Well... sorta, kinda, maybe, to some extent, give or take ... 🙄

The problem appears to be in the interaction between Glidos' version of Glide2x.dll and the Cat 3.1 version of Atioglxx.dll (I guess this must be the OpenGL driver in the ATI family).

To fix:
1. Get RB3D working in Glide with Cat 3.0a drivers
2. Copy \Windows\System32\Atioglxx.dll (file date 12/18/02) to a safe place (floppy, CD, etc.)
3. Load Cat 3.1 Drivers
4. Load Cat 3.1 Control Panel
5. Copy the saved Atioglxx.dll from step 2 into \Windows\System32 overwriting existing file dated 01/20/03 with one dated 12/18/02
6. Enjoy!!!

This obviously means you are not working with the Cat 3.1 version of OpenGL - only with the Cat 3.0a version, but all the rest is Cat 3.1. So far, I haven't had any incompatibilities/crashes with this bastardization of the drivers. Maybe this will give someone with a lot more knowledge about drivers than I have some idea of how to fix Glidos/OpenGlide to work with the Cat 3.1 version of the OpenGL driver.

Hope this helps.

Monte

Last edited by BMSliger on 2003-03-04, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BMSliger wrote:
Got Cat 3.1 working with RB3D and Glidos! :cool: […]
Show full quote

Got Cat 3.1 working with RB3D and Glidos! 😎

Well... sorta, kinda, maybe, to some extent, give or take ... 🙄

Monte

Nice Monte!

Thanks for that I will experiment too, I will post that to the RAGE
3D forum hopefully some ATI guy will pick it up??

I will also post it using the feedback for ATI if you haven't?

Cheers 😁 !!

Mark

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 46 of 60, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh okay, so I've done it once, but that's still at least 2 times less than you Nicht 😜 (You've even done it in the same thread following my post, so not much to say there. 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 49 of 60, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
Well, I hope to be back working on OpenGLide, can someone with crashing problems send me the OpenGLid.log file? The one generated with the debug version.
This way I can at least try to understand what is happening.
Ohh, by the way, I am the author of OpenGLide for the ones that don't know, that does not mean I will fix anything, it just mean I will try to... 😀

Reply 50 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys,

You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

After further experimentation, I have found that if you put the Cat 3.0a version of ATIOGLXX.DLL (dated 12/18/02) into the SIERRA\RedBaron3d folder instead of overwriting the Cat 3.1 version (dated 01/20/03) in the Windows\System32 folder, RB3D will use the version of that file that is in its own folder before using the version that is in the Windows\System32 folder.

This means that you can have full Cat 3.1 driver capability with all other programs while maintaining compatability with the Cat 3.0a OpenGL for RB3D only.

As before, the only caveat seems to be that your desktop MUST be set to 16bit before starting RB3D or it will still lockup when trying to exit the 3D portion of the mission to go back to the debriefing screen.

This allows you to set your OpenGL parameters (AA,AF,etc.) in the Display/Settings/Advanced/OpenGL tab the way you would like them for your other sims/programs and still play RB3D using the Cat3.0a version of ATIOGLXX.DLL.

Hope this helps.

Monte

Reply 51 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 I don't believe it Monte I checked this thread everyday and saw no further posts and just now I logged in to type the VERY SAME POINT!! I just thought about it, after reading a similar post on SWWIS somewhere 😀)

Nice job anyway and thanks for posting it.
Maybe we should post this elsewhere?

Cheers

Mark

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 54 of 60, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dictionary.com

bump

vt. Synonym for increment. Has the same meaning as C's
++ operator. Used esp. of counter variables, pointers, and index
dummies in `for', `while', and `do-while' loops.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 55 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Erm, so.... much clearer I think 😀

So you are going to increment the thread? Make it indexed for dummys?

On another note, the new CAT3.2's out tonight seem to work fine with Red Baron and OpenGlide wahoo 😁

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 56 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mark,

I sent you an e-mail just before I posted here with the same info as was in the post. I did a reply to the e-mail you sent me earlier so maybe it did not get to you.

Anyway ...

I just d/l and installed the Cat 3.2 drivers and everything works fine except there is still no AA or AF in Glidos using these drivers. Maybe next version??

Woops! I forgot to check whether it still locks up if the desktop is set to 32bit mode with AA and/or AF set on in the OpenGL tab. If desktop is 16bit, then it works in Fly Now or Campaign missions regardless of OpenGL settings in driver tab.

Be back soon.

Monte

P.S. Bump is simply posting a reply to a message thread so it will "BUMP" it to the top of the list of threads within that specific forum area since these lists are generally sorted by date of last post. It doesn't matter in this particular forum area since the other threads seem to be "stickied" to remain at the top of the list and also the list of threads in this forum topic is very small. 😀

Reply 57 of 60, by BMSliger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally!!!

It even works if the desktop is set to 32bit and AA and AF are set to on in the OpenGL tab of the Display Properties/Settings/Advanced menu.

Nirvana at last. 😁

Monte

P.S. It figures, doesn't it, that just when we figure out a way around the problem after god knows how much trial and error (not to mention weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth), they come along and fix the problem. I have to admit I am glad they fixed it though.

Reply 58 of 60, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hehe finally we get there after blood sweet and tears and we have no idea why 😀

Only problem I had was a lock up in multiplayer (using MMP 3D patch) with the new drivers but hey I can live with it at the moment.

Thanks ATI for the new drivers. Lets hope the 3.3 soon give us performance and don't break opengl/openglide again 😀,

Cheers Monte 😀

Reply 59 of 60, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woops sorry that was me not logged-in

😀

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+