VOGONS

First post, by filler79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have had problems using the Open GL features of the Hexen2 and Quake demos I downloaded. The program is looking for a file called glide2x.dll. With my system can I download a suitable emulator and which one is best??

My system:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz)
768MB RAM (PC133 SDRAM)
Windows XP SP2
Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 200
SoundBlaster AudioPCI (model ct4810)
Direct X 9.0c

Quake Version 1.06 (shareware) with GLQuake 0.97
Hexen II Version 0.42

Thanx
Filler79

Reply 1 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GLQuake shouldn't need glide2x.dll, but anyway you could try psVoodoo. I'd be interested to see how you get on. The downloadable archive contains a version of glide2x.dll that you just need to place in the same folder as the game's exe file.[/url]

Reply 2 of 6, by filler79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I downloaded the dll file and placed it in the directory of the games and neither game worked when I started the Open GL application. Hexen II reported an error of "wglCreateContect failed" and Quake caused Windows to report an error with opengl32.dll file which is also in the games directory. With my video card and operating system can I use OpenGlide in application or is it just for older video cards and operating systems like Windows 95??

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce3 Ti200
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

Thanx
Filler79

Reply 3 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like you have no OpenGL support. Probably you are using the graphics card drivers supplied by Microsoft. You should get the latest drivers direct from nVidia. Microsoft strip out OpenGL support.

Reply 4 of 6, by filler79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I got rid of the original glide2x.dll file I downloaded and installed one from psVoodo (v2.0). The result was the same for Hexen II but for Quake the application initialised but had a blank screen, caused the mouse pointer to malfunction and had flickering sound of the game coming through. Tried v4.0 with no luck and installed all the missing d3d dlls from the link at psVoodoo and used the v2.0 dll again; also no luck. I got my drivers from Nvidia's website (the US English version for GeForce cards).

Thanx
Filler79

Reply 5 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its probably a config problem. GLQuake just uses OpenGL, but I think its distributed with a special OpenGL driver that can use glide2x.dll. You need to configure it to use your video cards native OpenGL.

Reply 6 of 6, by filler79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

It seems the download file I got sets GLQuake to use 3DFX by default by including a file called opengl32.dll. I simply deleted this file and glide2x.dll, set desktop colour to 16 bit and 800x600 res. and got it working with my usual Open GL. I had to play around a bit with ctrl-alt-del as it will not load naturally and requires me to go back to the desktop and hit the program's tab again but after that it works great in XP. Thanks for the help Glidos.

Cheers
Filler79