VOGONS

First post, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gents,

Thanks to the release of the Glidos wrapper and the emergence of a few terrific graphic patches, Red Baron has surged back into the lime-light of combat flight sims. We've even made it to the June edition of 'Computer Games' magazine. With the much anticipated release of Full Canvas Jacket from Mitchell Kent (Kessler), Red Baron as we knew it from Sierra Dynamic will never be the same.

Hence my request to your team. I know an old game like RB can easily slip off the priority list, with all the great FPS/adventure games out there, but to be honest... RB is the ONLY WWI flight simulator to date that allowed the users acces to tweak the game to levels never seen/expected by S/D. Our biggest barrier is and always will be the poor technology/programming that S/D based the original code on. We cannot get the code, so we are stuck with it.

This is where we need your help. There are hundreds of RB'ers out there that have been requesting help, updates, corrections, etc to the GLIDOS engine through individual emails and posting on the various Forums that our community offers. We have tried our best to support them and boast your product while doing so. I even had a gentleman from Spain ask me some questions while also telling me that he was forming a Spanish RB squadron with his friends.... poissibly 10 men on the team.

Can you come by the SWWISA forum and have a look at some of the remaining issues? Some of them are more simpler than others, but a lot of folks see problems with palettes more than anything else.

We could really use the support of the GLIDOS team. We've worked harder than most fans of any game to get RB to where it is now and would like it to keep going. Any help from your team would be appreciated by folks that you or I have and never will know. On a personal note, I spent 8 months building my patch Hell's Angels, only to have folks email me asking me why the gun flash is green, or why there are black specs on eveything. It kills me because I know there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks in advance, please consider another revision of 0074b to address the remaining issues for RB. You have no idea how much your attention to RB is appreciated.

James
'Otto von Stachel'
creator of 'Hell's Angels' for Red Baron 3D

Reply 1 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as we know, the remaining problems are not with OpenGLide. The texture corruptions are seen when using voodoo cards. Apparently it is the Glide engine within RB that can't handle replacement textures that are bigger than the originals. Someone, I can't remember who, claimed to have cured the texture corruptions by changing the resolution of the textures concerned.

We do not currently know a solution to the problem with ATI cards.

Reply 2 of 6, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

Someone, I can't remember who, claimed to have cured the texture corruptions by changing the resolution of the textures concerned.

That would be DeltaK. He's in the "member pages" at http://www.swwisa.net

Sorry that some nastiness transpired out of what I started again. The Red Baron guys LOVE YA Paul, we'd even give you our bud lights(although I suspect you've got access to better stuff). A number(ok, i'm sure most probably just take it) of us even bought GLIDOS as token thanks. We owe you thanks in a number of ways.

I just thought that maybe there were some things that you've learned since last Oct that might be of benefit. But if not, thats ok too. Not looking for preferential treatment. Sorry I started in the wrong section of the forum also. 🤣

Cheers and thanks!

Reply 4 of 6, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say thanks...

All I was asking on the other thread, that I unknowingly posted incorrectly to, was exactly what you just answered... in a calm, non-insulting, adult tone. A simple man-to-man Q&A. I was not asking for special treatment, just a boost. We have many folks now coming back to RB and they have questions, we'd like to answer them correctly. They like the wrapper and we boast it all the time. Boast means to brag about it, talk it up, hand it out... give links... support etc.

Why that guy Craig acted like that is beyond me. He should re-read and think before going out and blasting a hole then back-track like it was not his fault. There is a receiver of the message he wrote...and it was me.

Anyhow... you guys have done our community a great justice and we are massively (and believe me, that's an understatment) thankful for your hard work and obvious commitment.

I'll pass on the final word to the guys and let them know that it is something we have to finish on our side.

Take care, and no, it takes a hellova lot more to piss me off than a guy like Craig... I'm from NY... A-hole capitol of the world... 😉

All the best

OvS

Reply 5 of 6, by Unregistered

User metadata

i just wish that everybody in the RB world would learn to replace the word "GLIDOS" with the word "OpenGlide" when talking about the wrapper that helps them, that's all. It would at least send the newbies to the right forum here... so change your how-to's and directions and FAQs and instructions and stuff, guys.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by OvS All I was asking on the other thread, that I unknowingly posted incorrectly to, was exactly what you just answered...

Well, you knew enough to create the same post here, so you at least had an idea about where it should go.

...in a calm, non-insulting, adult tone.

I think it was stress that come from a large amount of repetition. It easy to calmly to give out corrected info the first time, and second, and third...

After a few dozen times it starts to wear thin... We're all kind of hoping that people will get into the habit of using the search box for old posts on a topic instead of asking:

What is NOLFB?
How do I get to the DOS in my Windows 2000?
Why won't QEMM work in XP?
Why does DOOM sound so BAD with VDMSound?
Why isn't GliDOS free?
Why do you need my system specifications?
etc... for the 1000th time

I was not asking for special treatment, just a boost.

*heh* A boost, by your own definition means moving it up on the "priority list". By definition then, that means it moves ahead of something else. Splitting hairs here...

Why that guy Craig acted like that is beyond me.

Imagine you and everyone else on your street is having a problem is having problems with your refrigerator in the middle of summer. Paul is the only guy who knows how to fix these things up and everyone wants their fridge to take priority.

Craig sees you walk up to Paul and ask for him to come take a look at the Air Conditioner your having a problem back on your street and he gets pissed because he knows that's not really Paul's job and that any time he spends on your project is less time spent elsewhere...like his and his neighbor's fridge.

Not a perfect analogy, I hope you get the gist of it.

Anyhow... you guys have done our community a great justice

Well Craig's not a developer, but he's been helping with testing quite a bit...So, truce, OK?

I'm from NY... A-hole capitol of the world...

This message just in from N.Y. tourism board. Something about "what the hell" and "don't you think tourism is down enough as is?" and "you have any idea how much money we're losing right now?" and.... oh, I'll just forward it...

*heh* kidding