VOGONS

First post, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There seems to be a weird bug in Deus Ex on OpenGlide 0.08

Everyone is wearing a pair of shades (or sometime odd placeholder graphics are shown).

Any idea what causes this? (I remember something about this on the planet deusex forum, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was). I've run the game with my custom config files and with setup defaults (both for Deus Ex and OpenGlide) just to make sure it wasn't something I'd changed.

System Specs as asked for in the posting guidelines:

ABIT KT7E System board
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.1GHz
Crucial 1x 512 RAM (SD-133, CAS 2)
ABIT Siluro GeForce III Ti200 64mb RAM
Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI
Windows XP Professional SP1
DeusEx 1.14f
OpenGlide 0.08

Attachments

• DeusEx.jpg
    Filename
    DeusEx.jpg
    File size
    18.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

Hey Snover,
While we're at it, why don't we just say a big f*ck you to naitive DirectX, and OpenGL, and run everything in Openglide ? 🙄

The trouble is, most of the visitors here, are thick as f*ck, and they'll try and run anything on Openglide, without bothering to think.

Hey, why not try running Doom3, or Half-Life 2, when they come out, via Openglide ? Just because you can, doesn't mean it's the right way. 🙄

Perhaps I should just bitch and moan all day about a tiny, insignificant black pixel thaty appears when I try and run Call of Duty on a P2 300, with 64Mb RAM, and a friggin ATI Mach64, in Windows 3.11. 🙄
Note, Sarcasm.

And while you are there, Snover, why not learn some web skills and design a better looking forum, instead of this shite.

Blah blah blah, complain complain complain, I'm a moron, et cetera et cetera.

Reply 4 of 14, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was attempting to run DeusEx in Openglide because the performance really suffers under D3D and OpenGL, the game was writtern for Glide.

The performance with OpenGlide was suprisingly good (not much behind my highly tweaked D3D cfg). So I was posting here to see if anyone could iron out the cracks.

As for our guest posters:

Why not try posting something constructive here instead of insults? OpenGlide is so far the best Glide emulation I have come across, both in terms of performance and compatibility. Keep up the good work guys.

Reply 6 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Deus Ex was designed for GLiDE? WhaaAA?

Yeah.

http://zetafleet.com/dev/oli/compat.php?actio … ameName=Deus+Ex

Note to Colin: Please provide an interface so that someone can link to either results of a search in the compatibility list, or to link to a page displaying an individual game's compatibility results, when you have a chance. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just because it supports GLiDE doesn't mean it was designed specifically for it. I mean, the engine had DirectX, OpenGL, Software render extensions plus I think a couple others for things like PowerVR.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first Unreal engine is noticeably faster and more stable in Glide versus DirectX. The core engine was made when Glide was the king.
But there is a fan-made OpenGL renderer for Unreal UT and Deus Ex that is really fast and stable. So I recommend using that one instead of Glide + wrapper.

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/temp/

Reply 10 of 14, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, after being off the web for a couple of months, I'm back and on ADSL, now. 😀

I was about to post a reply about the opengl driver for both Unreal and Deus Ex, when I saw it's already done.

Personally, this is the better way to play these great games. Both now look better than they ever did, on my R9700 Pro. And now I run them with 6x AA and 16xAF, and they run great.

I'm going to go through the entire Unreal, again. As well as Deus Ex 2.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 11 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That driver doesn't seem to work with Deus Ex. In the past I've tried other Unreal and UT OpenGL renderer DLLs and have always got an error message from Deus Ex when I try to run it.

Has someone actually gotten it to work? If so, what could I be doing wrong? I dropped the DLL in my DeusEx\System folder (after renaming the old one), then in DeusEx.ini I set GameRenderDevice, WindowedRenderDevice, and
RenderDevice all equal to OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice (used to all be D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice)

The exact error messages are:
"Deus Ex: DeusEx.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The Procedure entry point ?GSecondsPerCycle@@3MA could not be located in the dynamic link library Core.dll." (message appears twice)

"Critical Error
Assertion failed: RenDev [File: D:\prj\Clean\WinDrv\Src\WinViewport.cpp] [Line: 345]
History: UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine"

Reply 13 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, they're old. I'll give them a shot anyways - maybe they're still better than the built-in D3D driver. I just emailed the author about it though 😀

Reply 14 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a reply from the author:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Shadwick" <benshadwickATicqmailDOTcom> To: <smpdevATmindspringDOTcom> Sent: Saturday, J […]
Show full quote

----- Original Message -----
To: <smpdevATmindspringDOTcom>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 1:03 PM
Subject: Deus Ex OpenGL driver

> Hi there. I was wondering if it would be difficult for
> you to release an updated version of your Deus Ex
> OpenGL driver, as it seems to be quite a bit older than
> your UT one at this point. Also, a comprehensive list
> of .ini options for your driver would be useful (the
> current one on your site seems to be missing both some
> of the standard options and some of your most recently
> added options).

It's not all that difficult to build, but then it has to be tested at least
a little bit too, so it's not my highest priority considering the changes
since 2.3 are fairly minor. The UT one gets updated more often because I
still play it sometimes. The soonest I'd update the Deus Ex renderer would
probably be if I decide to make a 2.6 release. It could be a while though
because I'm kind of busy with work for the next few weeks. All the easy to
fix/improve stuff got taken care of a long time ago too, so putting together
enough changes to be worth doing a new release over takes longer.

Updating the settings page is too much like writing documentation for my
real work, so it gets done last, but most of the important settings should
be there. A few settings are still listed on the bottom of the main page.
A number of settings do nothing, though some of these can actually break
things if you go out of your way to set them to certain specific bad values.
Others can vary a lot on different video hardware and drivers, so they'd
need to be tested out individually anyway, or just not used at all.

Chris Dohnal
cwdohnalATmindspringDOTcom
or smpdevATmindspringDOTcom for this project