VOGONS

First post, by JFM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Let me preface my post with the information that I am NOT a computer brainiac. Please bear with my descriptions and lack of knowledge, and please try to "dumb things down" for me. I had originally posted this over in the Glidos area, but was informed I should take the problem here.

Today I downloaded the Glide wrapper Glide2x.dll and the configuration file Open GLid.ini to use with my Red Baron 3D game. I had read that these would let me again enjoy the game in Glide rather than the fuzzy Direct Draw. Backing up the originals, I placed these two files in the main RB folder and fired up the game in Glide. YES! Looked awesome, just like the old days! I was thrilled.

However, for some reason there was absolutely no sound. No game sounds, no music, zilch. I removed the new files and restored the original files; nothing. I uninstalled the game, then reinstalled it. Before adding the new Glide Wrapper files, I tested the installation. All music and game sounds worked. I then backed up the originals and again installed the new files. Same result: awesome visually, no sound at all. Removed new files and tested game--still no sound. Uninstalled and reinstalled, this time without the new Glide files, and that's where I am.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? It was suggested to make sure the drivers were up to date and to the best of my knowledge they are. Why would the sound work before the addition of the Glidos Glide wrapper and not after? This is maddening, because the game looks great with the wrapper, but I just cannot play it with no sound.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! I apologize for the length of this post and look forward to any replies.

Thank you!

JFM

Motherboard: ??? Computer is a Dell Dimension 8200, purchased Xmas, 2001

Processor type and speed: P4 1.90 GHz

Amount and type of RAM: 256MB

Video board w/ RAM amount and type: 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200

Sound board: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

Operating system: Windows XP

Game: Red Baron 2, upgraded to Red Baron 3D using the "Super Patch".

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part of the problem might stem from the fact that you are "upgrading" from Red Baron 2 to Red Baron 3D. You might consider, if you've got the money (and you'd rather buy RB3D instead of donating, teehee) getting a REAL copy of the software to see if THAT fixes your problem. You can probably find it for under $5.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by JFM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a good idea, because all the uninstalling and installing is a PITA with the superpatch.

However, an new wrinkle: I discovered that the disappearing sound is independent of the Glide wrapper installation! I went back to RB3D to fly around in the (ugh) Direct Draw, and there was no sound! So, I uninstalled and reinstalled, and the sound was there. I shut down the game normally, then started it normally...NO SOUND! And I had NOT installed the new Glidos Glide wrapper files!

So, to recap: After installing, initial play has sound. After shutdown, second play has NO sound. Nor any other attempts after that.

So, now what? In addition to getting a 3D disc? Any thoughts?

TIA,

JFM

Reply 3 of 4, by Mahoney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an XP issue with RB - it's nothing to do with using the OpenGLide wrapper or using the superpatch. Close RB, go to your RB folder and delete rbprefs.dat. Then open RB and set all your favourite preferences *but don't fly, and don't close RB*. Press Alt-Tab to get back to the desktop without closing RB; go to your RB folder, right-click on rbprefs.dat (Red Baron will have re-created it), right-click on it, go to preferences and set it to read-only. You should now get sound without a problem - but you won't be able to change preferences without deleting it and repeating this procedure.

(For some reason RB is upset by USB joysticks when running XP, detects a non-existent conflict with your sound card and disables the sound for you; making the rbprefs.dat read only stops RB doing this.)

Rob