VOGONS

First post, by Sundancer

User metadata

I have been using the 2 files necessary to run RB3D with an nVidia card for some time now and they have been great...no problems or glitches at all...until these new ones that were put up on 10/11. Like a dummy I deleted the previous versions of these two files before testing the new ones.

Could you tell me how or where I could get copies of the 2 files that were available prior to 10/11???

I would appreciate your help with this very much....dropping those two files in my RB3D folder have made it possible for me to fly this great sim again.

Thanks alot

Sundancer

email = tblain@triad.rr.com

Reply 1 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weeeird. It's probably an issue with the INI file, but in any case, Paul, you should really have an archive of old binaries on the site. Err, the site. Err, this site. Release them through there, too... it's easier, you don't use your bandwidth, and, yeah. It's easier.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sundancer wrote:

I have been using the 2 files necessary to run RB3D with an nVidia card for some time now and they have been great...no problems or glitches at all...until these new ones that were put up on 10/11. Like a dummy I deleted the previous versions of these two files before testing the new ones.

Could you tell me how or where I could get copies of the 2 files that were available prior to 10/11???

I would appreciate your help with this very much....dropping those two files in my RB3D folder have made it possible for me to fly this great sim again.

Let's do a trade: you tell me what the problem is with the new version, and I'll tell you where you can find the old. We'd quite like to fix it, don't you see. 😀

Reply 3 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Let's do a trade: you tell me what the problem is with the new version, and I'll tell you where you can find the old. We'd quite like to fix it, don't you see. 😀

And would you mind posting your OpenGlid.log file here please?

You could try editing the OpenGLid.ini file, and change the multitexture setting from 1 to 0, but please tell us what happens.

Reply 4 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata

I apologize ... I should have been more detailed in my first post.

First, my system specs -
P4 1.9 - 512 meg PC800 RAMBUS on an Intel 850 Mobo - GeForce2 GTS 64 meg video card

Files used - I began using your Glidos files to run RB3D three releases ago, I think...by that I mean, these latest files are the third set I have downloaded from your site. The ones I was using immediately prior to these latest released were released on 9/27, I think and were labeled - 0.06??, I believe.
All these previous files worked flawlessly for me - no glitches, no graphic anomalies, not even a flicker...they were perfect for me...even "transparent cockpit" worked perfectly.
I downloaded the latest released on 10/11 - 0.07?? and these are the ones that have given me a problem.

The problem - when I first start out in RB3D at take-off everything is still fine and I can fly for awhile and everything still works perfectly but once I engage the enemy and the bullits start flying...I begin to get "graphic anomalies" - the puffs of smoke that you get when you hit an opponents plane no longer look like smoke, they take on a dark square shapes....and from that time on, I also get a "graphic anomaly" of the ground tectures as well = the ground will stop looking "normal" and will instead be covered with large, very dark(almost black) squares....this moves as I move, by that I mean - as I look out into the distance, the ground textures look normal but as I move forward the normal looking ground changes as I approach to take on the large black squares appearance....it moves with me.
I hope I have been able to describe it well enough to be helpful.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Sundancer ... email - tblain@triad.rr.com

Reply 5 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata

here is my OpenGLid.log which you requested -

-------------------------------------------
OpenGLide Log File
***** OpenGLide Version0.07b1 *****
Date: 10/12/02
Time: 12:17:09
Clock Frequency: 1894.24 Mhz
Configuration file is OpenGLid.INI
-----------------------------------------
Wrapper Class Priority of 32
Wrapper Priority of 2
-----------------------------------------
ColorBits = 32
DepthBits = 24
Using OpenGL version = 4
MultiTexture Textures Units = 2
Using Palette Extension.
Setting in Use:
Init Full Screen = true
Fog = true
Precision Fix = false
565 Wrap = false
MultiTexture = true
Palette Extension = true
Packed Pixels Extension = false
Vertex Array Extension = false
Secondary Color Extension = false
Fog Coord Extension = true
Texture Memory Size = 16 Mb
Frame Buffer Memory Size = 8 Mb
MMX is disabled
** OpenGL Information **
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce2 GTS/AGP/SSE2
Version: 1.4.0
Extensions: GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_weighting GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_texgen_emboss GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
** Glide Calls **
-------------------------
Time: 12:31:52
FPS = 0.000000
thanks again

Sundancer - email = tblain@triad.rr.com

Reply 6 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, thanks for the info. You can get the previous versions off sourceforge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/openglide Download v007. The latest there is v007b1; don't bother with that: its the same as the 10/11 version.

There is a possibility that you have just been lucky up 'til now. The problems you describe are ones that have been reported all along, even on real voodoo cards without the wrapper. It is a known problem with RB. On the other hand, there must be some connection with the new version of the wrapper if you see such a strong correlation. It might be, as Snover says, an INI file thing. Perhaps you used to have different texture-memory size settings.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful if you could alternate between the two versions (v007 and v007b1) to try and confirm the connection with certainty.

The change that was last made changed the way explosions, clouds, the prop and the ground near rivers is handled. I was expecting you to say that the prop was no longer transparent. But since you didn't that change is working. It is very difficult to think why that change would work in terms of transparency, but increase the number of droped textures.

Anything else you notice. please let us know.

Reply 7 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember that you CAN'T use texture packs that are larger than those that come with the original game or visual anomalies WILL start to occur. This is due to Sierra's extremely bad coding, and there's not really anything that can be done to OpenGLide to fix it.

Also, since this is an OpenGLide problem and not a GliDOS problem, I'm moving this to the OpenGLide General forum.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sundancer wrote:

I tried the change to the OpenGLid.ini file...changing the multitexure from 1 to 0 and this fixed the problem,,,all is working great again

thanks alot for your help

That's very useful information. It shows that the problem is with, or triggered by, the ap88 changes. The strange thing is that you still have the correct transparencies in clouds and the prop, so the ap88 changes are generally working. It is just the texture caching which is playing up, and that code hasn't changed.

I'd be very grateful if you would do some more tests. Not yet, but would you mind testing a new version when it is ready? It would be great if you could keep your set up unchanged for a while and do tests with the same missions as your earlier tests.

Reply 10 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata

well...sorry, but it appears that I spoke too soon....although when I changed the OpenGLid file(multitexture) from 1 to 0 it fixed the problem for awhile...the problem has returned, although not as harshly as before(it seems that it just takes longer for the problem to develope while flying...and...when the problem does finally appear, it is not so harsh)
by that I mean
the ground tiles do not change to large black squares now but to large dark & light blue ones and the puffs of smoke are not as bad either but they do change now as they did before...just lighter in color
I am going to try the older files you led me to now and see what difference they will make and I will report if they "fix" the problem for me...although as I said, they worked perfectly for me previously. I did take a look inside the OpenGLid file and I noticed that there was no "multitexture" line in these older files...is that correct?

I would be happy to run tests for you...just let me know when you need me too

thanks again

Sundancer ... email = tblain@triad.rr.com

Reply 11 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata

well...I just flew with the "old" files and although they used to work flawlessly for me...they no longer do
I experienced the exact same problems this time as I had with the most current files

One thing I neglected to mention is that I am using new "graphics files" from - The Promised Land...I did not mention this previously because I had been using them for some time and had not had any problem previously even with these beautiful new graphics installed until I began using the 2 Glidos files released on 10/11.

I will delete RB3D and do a "fresh" install using only the files that come with the game and begin re-testing?

Reply 12 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm, very complicated. It will be a great help if you can make some sense of the strange results you are getting.

If you find yourself again in a position such that disabling multitexturing makes a difference, then it would be useful for you to try out a new version that I can send to you. That applies only to the 10/11 files; before that multitexturing wasn't used.

Generally the texture drop out is fairly random, so it may take several tests to conclusively establish a correlation between problems and wrapper version.

It may be an idea if you either register here or send me an email address so I can send you things.

Your help is much appreciated.

BTW, these files you are using are actually called OpenGLide, originally created by Fabio Barros. Glidos is a system that uses OpenGLide to support Glide based DOS games.

Reply 13 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK... I registered

I did go ahead and do a complete uninstall of RB3D to get rid of the Promised Land graphics package add-on.
I did a complete new install of RB3D so that the graphics were the ones that came with the game only and the new files work fine now...I do get some anomolies in the clouds...once in awhile(not all the time)...these take the appearance of "psychedelic" colors...but do not last for a very long time.
Transparent prop and transparent cockpit work fine...so far it seems that everything works flawlessly with the exception of the occasional "psychedelic" clouds as I mentioned previously.

I would be happy to test for you and look forward to receving the new files. Just let me know what you need me to do.

I will say that it is a shame that we can't get the OpenGlide to work with the - Promised Land Graphics add-on, as this add-on makes Red Baron incredibly beautiful...but so be it.

Thanks again for all your help

Sundancer - email = tblain@triad.rr.com

Reply 14 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just released a new version. One change is to fix a bug in the AP88 handling code, where one of the two textures used in mutlitexturing was not being freed when no longer needed. This could run your computer out of virtual memory.

The other change was to make the wiping of cached textures more thorough when the textures in question are overwritten. I previously thought this didn't matter, but SunDancer's results suggest it does. I'd left off the change because I thought it might slow down the wrapper but I've now realised that if anything it will make it faster in looking up cached textures.

Red Baron now seems to run at an acceptable speed even with the Texture memory set down to 2MB. That setting had beed quoted as a fix for the RB texture corruptions and might be worth a try, although the speed is better with higher settings.

Reply 15 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sundancer wrote:

OK... I registered

I found a nasty enough bug that I decided to make a new release rather than send a copy just to you.

I did go ahead and do a complete uninstall of RB3D to get rid of the Promised Land graphics package add-on. I did a complete ne […]
Show full quote

I did go ahead and do a complete uninstall of RB3D to get rid of the Promised Land graphics package add-on.
I did a complete new install of RB3D so that the graphics were the ones that came with the game only and the new files work fine now...I do get some anomolies in the clouds...once in awhile(not all the time)...these take the appearance of "psychedelic" colors...but do not last for a very long time.
Transparent prop and transparent cockpit work fine...so far it seems that everything works flawlessly with the exception of the occasional "psychedelic" clouds as I mentioned previously.

I would be happy to test for you and look forward to receving the new files. Just let me know what you need me to do.

It would be great if you could get back into the position of having the 10/11 version working with multitexturing disabled, but not with it enabled. And then if the version I've just released works even with multitexturing, that would confirm the problem fixed. I realise that might be difficult to set up.

I will say that it is a shame that we can't get the OpenGlide to work with the - Promised Land Graphics add-on, as this add-on makes Red Baron incredibly beautiful...but so be it.

Strange: in another thread there is a report of it working.

showthread.php?s=&postid=5295#post5295

Reply 16 of 31, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Strange: in another thread there is a report of it working.

That was me. ;0)

The 10-11 wrapper definitely does not cause increased graphics corruption. People should bear in mind, that the new PL-superpatch contains a considerable amount of highres graphics often exceeding the size of the corresponding stock files. This leads to an extremely high texture load which the game can't handle; unless you can set the texture memory to 2 mb like the Voodoo card users do.

The patch has been created for Glide users (Three years work!) and nobobody thought about a working wrapper a couple of weeks ago. Like Kessler, the Author of the Promised Land Patch I am a member of the "Society of World War I Sim Artisans"/SWWISA and I am currently working on solutions on the graphics side.

For the time being I recommend that wrapper users do not use any patches containing "special effects" like fire, smoke, explosions. Everything else seems to work ok!

http://www.swwisa.net/
http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp … Fswwisa%2Fstart

Reply 17 of 31, by Sundancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2 questions -

you mentioned that the problems were with the "special effects", i.e. fire, explosions, smoke, etc.
however, the biggest problem I had was with the ground textures themselves...changing to large black squares

how would I set texture memory to 2 mb???

thanks

Sundancer

Reply 18 of 31, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sundancer wrote:

2 questions -

you mentioned that the problems were with the "special effects", i.e. fire, explosions, smoke, etc.
however, the biggest problem I had was with the ground textures themselves...changing to large black squares

One thing is the cause, the other the result. Sorry but I am not a techie! 😀

how would I set texture memory to 2 mb??? thanks Sundancer […]
Show full quote

how would I set texture memory to 2 mb???

thanks

Sundancer

Sorry if I was not specific enough. But that is the workaround for those having a Voodoo/3dfx card. If you have such card you do not need the wrapper. I have a Geforce and do not know the specs of the Voodoo control pannel.

Reply 19 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2MB trick may be a possiblility for the wrapper now. Edit the OpenGLid.INI file and change the texture memory setting from 16 to 2. It will cause it run a bit more lumpy, and it may not cure the texture drop out, but its worth a go.