VOGONS

OpenGlide Compatibility Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grab OpenGlide here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openglide

Extract the files and place them into your game directory.

Run the game and choose "Glide"

Post your results in this thread.

WORKS

Adventure Pinball Forgotten Island Demo

Mortal Kombat 4

Myth 2 v1.3

Update the game!
Runs slower than D3D

Nerf ArenaBlast Demo

Rune

Star Trek Deep Space Nine The Fallen
Does not show GLIDE in video selection menu.
In menu select D3D or OGL. Run game. Then quit the game.
Now open DS9.INI and change "GameRenderDevice=?"
to "GameRenderDevice=GlideDrv.GlideRenderDevice"
Now run the game!

Turok

Undying

PROBLEMS

Deus Ex v1.1

Open DeusEx.ini
Look for this line under
[GlideDrv.GlideRenderDevice]
Change DetailTextures=True to DetailTextures=False

Formula 1 Demo
Graphics in menu selection screen are messed up.

Tribes
Black lines are shown in the game seperating textures.

Unreal
In the Game's .ini
Look for this line under

Unreal Tournament
Look for this line under

Wheel of Time Demo
In the Game's .ini
Look for this line under

Carmageddon 2
Moust stuck in upper left-hand side of screen. Graphics distortion

DO NOT WORK

REQUIRES GLIDE3X.DLL

Diablo 2
Hitman
Hype The Time Quest Demo
Messiah
Rayman 2 Demo
Rollcage
Rollcage Demo
Rollcage Stage 2
Turok 2
Test Drive 5

REQUIRES MINI DRIVER

Half-Life
Heretic 2
Kingpin
Quake 2
Quake 3
Star Trek Voyager:Elite Force
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune 2

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Useful stuff. I wonder what gives with these _grXXXX calls.
Both are in OpenGLide, but without the initial "-". These names are often connected with the calling convention. It might be solved by just changing the build parameters. I don't know much about this sort of thing... oo, Vlad does. 😀

Reply 2 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We shouldn't have to do that Glide2-Glide3 renaming, Paul... 😉

And they shouldn't be that similar that just copying Glide2 to Glide 3 works fine. There are certainly many Glide3 functions which aren't in Glide2 or are implemented differently in Glide3, and it should require a slightly different version of OpenGlide.

Sadly, it looks like eVoodoo still has a slight edge, then, in Windows compatibility. Keep up the good work, guys - it's a race to make the best Glide wrapper! 😀

Reply 3 of 26, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't even bother try to run Glide3 games, OpenGLide is Glide2 only, renaming won't help in any way, the calls are different and many functions too.
Maybe we will be able to do a branch in OpenGLide to support Glide3 but thats is for the future.
Continue the good work, and thanks Dosfreak.

Reply 4 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I know, but these two functions are in Glide 2, but without the _

Compilers often alter the names of functions depending on the calling conventions (arguments on the stack or in registers, that sort of thing). I was just wondering if we could make a Glide3x.dll that worked a little by fiddling with the call conventions.

Reply 7 of 26, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whether it emulated Glide under Windows (for stuff like Descent: FreeSpace) or Glide under DOS (for stuff like the Glide version of Shadow Warrior). It's moot now since I found out by expermentation that it's Windows Glide. This is what I get in Descent: FreeSpace:

(edit: I'd just like to point out that this was done by simply plonking OpenGlide straight into the FS1 directory and just rerunning the launcher to detect Glide as my video mode. If I've missed an important configuration option then I apologise.)

Attachments

• fs1.jpg
    Filename
    fs1.jpg
    File size
    13.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 9 of 26, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GoldFinger wrote:

I will see if I can download Descent Freespace from somewhere to try, if you have the bandwidth... 😀

I don't know if it helps, but you might still be able to get the demo from the official site:

http://www.volition-inc.com/fs

I could never get 3D acceleration working with it but then, I was trying to use Direct3D and not Glide so it might work and then again, it might not. Theres no big rush to get it working, I have no real desire to play it in Glide but I know a few that do and this might be an neat solution for them, it's certainly the fastest Glide wrapper I've ever seen. (not to mention that it was the first Glide game that sprang to mind to test it with :p)

Wasurenaide...

Reply 10 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OpenGlide, for now, will only do Windows Glide games. But if you know how, you could easily make a version that supported DOS Glide games. That is what Paul did with GliDOS, and he charges for it because it has other features too.

Theoretically, if he did not want to attract too much attention for "making money off of Glide", he should roll DOS Glide support into OpenGlide too. It's there, I guess, it's just hard to compile all that. Not really sure about the whole thing. We're in legal grey areas anyhow with Glide wrapping. 😀

Reply 12 of 26, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing that irks me about charging for GliDOS though is that currently, it only appears optimised for a certain numer of games. In its current state, I feel that charging USD$10 for it is a little excessive. I in no way disagree with him wanting donations to continue its development however.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 13 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

The thing that irks me about charging for GliDOS though is that currently, it only appears optimised for a certain numer of games. In its current state, I feel that charging USD for it is a little excessive. I in no way disagree with him wanting donations to continue its development however.

This is the first reasonable "I don't think I should need to pay $10 for GliDOS" response that I've seen. If only "New Raider" had grasped this concept.

Reply 15 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

OpenGlide, for now, will only do Windows Glide games. But if you know how, you could easily make a version that supported DOS Glide games. That is what Paul did with GliDOS, and he charges for it because it has other features too.

There's a little confusion here. Glidos isn't a version of OpenGLide. It is a system that maps DOS Glide through to Windows. It is used with OpenGLide because that's the only Windows-side wrapper at the moment that can handle the job, although last time I tried eVoodoo, it could handle Tomb Raider except for crashing in LFB locks, and eVodoo may have improved by now.

Also "easily" is a bit misleading. There are probably more lines of code in Glidos than in OpenGLide, and Glidos involves several communicating parts that have to be built with different compilers and different SDKs, each with its own little quirks. To be honest if I had to start again, I wouldn't. 😀

Reply 16 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

The thing that irks me about charging for GliDOS though is that currently, it only appears optimised for a certain numer of games. In its current state, I feel that charging USD for it is a little excessive. I in no way disagree with him wanting donations to continue its development however.

It's worse than that: probably they are the only games that work, although I'm always working on new ones. But if one of those games is your favourite of all time then $10 isn't a lot.

When I first wrote it, I did so just for the sake of TR, and at the time there were a lot of people saying they would willingly pay full price for a new version of TR with updated graphics, if Core would release one. I think it is mainly TR players that buy it.

Certainly, I am not getting rich on this. Financially, my best bet would be to forget all this Glide stuff and get on with my proper job.

Anyway, I respect your view.

Reply 17 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going to update the OpenGlide Compatibility database when I get time with my results....

Shouldn't we also report the ver of OpenGlide that we used for testing?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Going to update the OpenGlide Compatibility database when I get time with my results....

Shouldn't we also report the ver of OpenGlide that we used for testing?

You'd better, since I added 250 games or so...

And no, there isn't a field to add version or comments or anything - yet.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 26, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi, just thought I'd provide some feedback for you.

I'm very impressed with this emulator (currently using V008).

It's the only one I've come across that will succesfully run Ultima 9: Ascension (there was one other, but it had problems and was slow as hell).

This is a fairly important game to support because a lot of people out there run into trouble with the D3D version of the game, whereas the glide version is more stable.

Just one thing really needs fixing - the windows mouse pointer hangs around in game instead of disappearing.

The only other slight issue (and I don't know how easy it would be to fix) is that in paletted (8 bit) mode textures have black frames where there should be transparency. (edit: Just wanted to point out this is not an issue with 16 bit color, but 8 bit textures do help speed the game up)

Anyhow keep up the good work. It is good to see a glide emulator that works properly and performs well.