VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just keep finding I'm playing Unreal; can't help myself. Anyway, I thought "why don't I try out D3D and OpenGL" for a comparisen. Amazing, just like when I first played Unreal for the first time, OpenGL crashes every time. D3D works, but seems to give worse colours than Glide, and some objects like birds an palm leaves have black where there should be transparency.

So, for my particular system, OpenGlide is the best way to play Unreal - weird hey?

Well, I haven't tried this trick using UT. I expect that is probably the best way, but I tried reading the Vogon's thread about it, and got a bit lost how to do it. I would like to try that sometime.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, the original Unreal with the UT unreal files (I'm not gonna say the UT engine since the UT developer's say that from Unreal to UT 2003 that it's all the same "engine....well then why don't you frickin' update Unreal then! :rolleyes) fixes alot of problems inthe original Unreal. Which is why I don't understand why some people go to the trouble of downloading a utility to convert UT textures to Unreal textures and download a new S3TC driver when they could just use the UT files anyway. Geesh, they already have the UT disc's so they are already halfway there.....

I remember when Unreal first came out and was competing with Quake 2. I never like the Quake series (Played DN3D over Quake when it first came out) due to the crappy graphics. DN3D & Unreal were alot more fun to play (I'm not into internet gaming) although they are inferior game engine's they were just more fun. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try the OpenGL patch with S3TC textures from UT? Now THAT'S a sweet gaming experience. The only problem I see is that some textures with transparencies show the transparency as a SHINY transparent part, like glass. Annoying when you've got vines hanging from the ceiling and a nice square block of shininess below them. Takes away from the experience, for sure.

Yes, it’s my fault.