VOGONS

Ap88

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure I understand multitexturing now, and how to use it to make palette changes on AP88 textures efficient. Currently there is still a noticeable frame rate hit from sun glare in Red Baron, and supporting AP88 efficiently would completely cure that problem.

Fabio, do you mind if I get on with that? You already have the extensions code for this; I just need to uncomment it, and the rest of the changes would affect only two other source files, the main changes being in my texture cache class.

Reply 1 of 9, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go ahead,
This is my intend when I released OpenGLide as OpenSource, so others can enhance and fix bugs for me... 😀
Well, I am a little overwhelmed with work these days, that is why I had not messes with much things yet.
I hope to get some free time soon.

Reply 2 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:
Go ahead, This is my intend when I released OpenGLide as OpenSource, so others can enhance and fix bugs for me... :) Well, I am […]
Show full quote

Go ahead,
This is my intend when I released OpenGLide as OpenSource, so others can enhance and fix bugs for me... 😀
Well, I am a little overwhelmed with work these days, that is why I had not messes with much things yet.
I hope to get some free time soon.

Great! But I like to check with you on things. CVS means we can always undo broken changes, but it wont check that a change I make wont interfere with something you have planned. And you might have already though of some nice way to do AP88.

This AP88 stuff looks pretty safe. It will use multitexturing, which I can imagine you might want to use for other things, but I think my stuff can always be pushed down the texture unit pipeline to make room for other things to use a texture unit.

Pity you are so busy, but paying work must come first.

Reply 3 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

CVS means we can always undo broken changes, but it wont check that a change I make wont interfere with something you have planned. And you might have already though of some nice way to do AP88.

If it's something he's only planning, there isn't a problem. If it's something he's implemented in his local code, it should have already been merged. (That's the whole idea between concurrent version systems, guys!) It will check to see if lines may be conflicting, but it won't check context conflicts. But then again, you probably already knew that. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

If it's something he's only planning, there isn't a problem.

Well it wouldn't be so good if my plans were inconsistent with his. Always just good to check.

If it's something he's implemented in his local code, it should have already been merged. (That's the whole idea between concurrent version systems, guys!) It will check to see if lines may be conflicting, but it won't check context conflicts. But then again, you probably already knew that. 😀

And it wont merge concepts.

Reply 6 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AP88 stuff seems to work. Red Baron is a fair bit smoother now. I was so surprised, I did about five experiments of different ways to break it, to confirm that it really was the multitexturing that was working, and not just the old way still in place because of some mistake.

Reply 9 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Great news indeed, good work. just be sure and then check it in in CVS.
Congrats.

Thanks.

It's all checked in, and since it makes a fair difference to RB, I did another release. I also bumped the version and tagged the repostitory to keep track of the release in CVS.