User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,
I found some strange things and I would like you to answer me:
function grTexDownloadMipMapLevel
calls Textures->DownloadMipMap that then calls
int size = TextureMemRequired( evenOdd, info );
this does not seem right as it will calculate teh space necessary for all mipmaps and we are only downloading 1 of them, changing that to
made Unreal not crash anymore.
int size = MipMapMemRequired( info->smallLod, info->aspectRatio, info->format );
The problem with Unreal is the Window handling as we do not create a window anymore.
Please answer me soon and I would like you to test this new build with other games as RB3D and others.

UPDATE!!!!

Well, the previous code seems right, but the problem is there and it is exactly in this part of the code, strange... 😀
I am still looking at it and anyway I found that this code is not too good, I found some strange thing in it anyway.
I will think about it and maybe we can solve several bugs... 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by GoldFinger Hey, I found some strange things and I would like you to answer me: function grTexDownloadMipMa […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Hey,
I found some strange things and I would like you to answer me:
function grTexDownloadMipMapLevel
calls Textures->DownloadMipMap that then calls
int size = TextureMemRequired( evenOdd, info );
this does not seem right as it will calculate teh space necessary for all mipmaps and we are only downloading 1 of them, changing that to
made Unreal not crash anymore.
int size = MipMapMemRequired( info->smallLod, info->aspectRatio, info->format );
The problem with Unreal is the Window handling as we do not create a window anymore.
Please answer me soon and I would like you to test this new build with other games as RB3D and others.

I'd expect to have introduced a few bugs, especially in this area because I had to completely rewrite the Texture class so that it created OpenGL textures only when definitely needed and destroyed them when no longer needed. I introduced a completely new way of handling textures there, pulling all the palette stuff into one place. However, I have not connected all the Glide calls through to this class properly.

The solution: the current version (and, I believe, the original from which I started) does not use the client games mipmap levels below the main one. Hence grTexDownloadMipMapLevelshould do nothing unless thisLod == largeLod, and in that case it should do the same as grTexDownloadMipMap. Just adding

if(thisLod != largeLod)
return;

should fix it. I have done this in Glidos (naughty, I should have pushed the bug correction down into OpenGLide) for Dreams of Reality which the only game I have that calls grTexDownloadMipMapLevel, and that works fine now.

UPDATE!!!! […]
Show full quote

UPDATE!!!!

Well, the previous code seems right, but the problem is there and it is exactly in this part of the code, strange... 😀
I am still looking at it and anyway I found that this code is not too good, I found some strange thing in it anyway.
I will think about it and maybe we can solve several bugs... 😀

I'm going to be away for three days, but I should have web access. I'll try to help you with this. We should keep the discussions going until we are sure we have the right solution.

Reply 3 of 4, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

I have a working copy here with the Window creation code put back, although I've pulled it out into a seperate class in a slightly odd way that I'm not completely happy with. Would you like me to commit that? Maybe on a CVS branch?

Can't do it for a few days though.

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just had a thought for future development:
Support GlideXP's new GXP Glide extensions. See here:
http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/

But don't do this til' far in the future development. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen