VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silly me, I've been playing Unreal in Glide mode. I do love the game, and it's a good test of OpenGlide (that's my excuse).

Here's the strange thing. When I played it first, years ago, I could never get OpenGL to work, so I used D3D, and I think it was only when I installed DirectX 8.0 that I got the full lighting effects (and also the cobwebs for that matter). I assumed the lighting was using some special phong thingy whatsit or other, but now I'm playing it in Glide and all the effects are there; it looks just as good as it ever looked (actually now in 1280x1024, whereas in D3D 1280x960 was the highest it would go - small point).

Anyway, how is this lighting done in Glide. I know Glide has modes where an intensity texture (or is it alpha) can be used to brighten what is already on screen, but for very dark areas there isn't much colour info to brighten. I don't really have any idea how it is done. The thing is the light patches are curved. I don't know.

I even wondered whether I'd made a mistake and wasn't using OpenGlide at all, but I can break it by enabling mipmaping in OpneGlide.

Reply 1 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

Here's the strange thing. When I played it first, years ago, I could never get OpenGL to work, so I used D3D, and I think it was only when I installed DirectX 8.0 that I got the full lighting effects (and also the cobwebs for that matter). I assumed the lighting was using some special phong thingy whatsit or other, but now I'm playing it in Glide and all the effects are there; it looks just as good as it ever looked (actually now in 1280x1024, whereas in D3D 1280x960 was the highest it would go - small point).

Anyway, how is this lighting done in Glide. I know Glide has modes where an intensity texture (or is it alpha) can be used to brighten what is already on screen, but for very dark areas there isn't much colour info to brighten. I don't really have any idea how it is done. The thing is the light patches are curved. I don't know.

I even wondered whether I'd made a mistake and wasn't using OpenGlide at all, but I can break it by enabling mipmaping in OpneGlide.

I'm not sure, the only settings in Unreal that corresponds to lighting seems to be "rendering / <Renderer> / VolumetricLighting"
and "rendering / <Renderer> / Coronas".

"rendering / <Renderer> / Coronas" switches the coronas that are around the lightsources.

"rendering / <Renderer> / VolumetricLighting" enables/disables volumetric lighting.

But I don't think that's what you're asking about.

I dunno, try these guys:
http://www.oldunreal.com/

Like in their forum:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Or maybe someone here knows. But I don't.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

It is still amazing me. I previously thought that Unreal was using some clever features of OpenGL or D3D, but it looks to be Unreal itself that is being clever because somehow it is getting these effects using Glide, and I'm pretty sure there is nothing in Glide specifically to do this. Very interesting.