VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fabio, when you tried mapping Glide alpha textures directly to OpenGL alpha textures, did Myth work okay? I think I can see how to make it work for Redguard, but that's no good if I break Myth.

Reply 1 of 5, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Paul,
Can yopu explain to me what are you finding with this Alpha issue?
The problem with Myth I think was not with the Alpha textures, because even when I downloaded your new build it continue to display white textures, I then deleted the .INI file you suplied and it magically worked ok. I am investigating what parameters breaks Myth.
I am searching that damn Alpha textures again, maybe the manual is wrong, I will look at the Glide3 docs and see if I find anything.

Reply 2 of 5, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hummm, damn,
The docs are right... 😀
Alpha is described as AAAA in both sdks 2 and 3.
What is your idea to fix the stuff in RB3d?
And Paul, can you Commit your latest changes to SourceForge?
the ones that fixed the shearing in the textures 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Hummm, damn,
The docs are right... 😀
Alpha is described as AAAA in both sdks 2 and 3.

Yes, I checked that too. You were quite right. However, if the Myth problem is not to do with alpha textures, then we may do better to map to A111 for now, because Redguard is trying to use only the alpha component, and the way OpenGlide works it is getting the color scaled aswell, if we use AAAA. Generally games that use alpha textures will use them as the source to the alpha combine unit, but not the color combine unit. In that case A111 works.

The Myth problem sounds like the mipmapping bug. Mipmapping goes wrong for non-square paletted textures. It may go wrong in other cases. It goes wrong in Unreal, but I haven't checked that it is paletted textures in that case. The INI file had mipmapping enabled. When you deleted the INI file it went to the default wich is disabled.

I couldn't find a way to get OpenGL to calcualte mipmaps for paletted textures, so I wrote the code myself; probably why it is broken 😀

What is your idea to fix the stuff in RB3d? And Paul, can you Commit your latest changes to SourceForge? the ones that fixed th […]
Show full quote

What is your idea to fix the stuff in RB3d?
And Paul, can you Commit your latest changes to SourceForge?
the ones that fixed the shearing in the textures 😀

I committed that. It should work. All that was needed was to set the PACK and UNPACK alignment to 2, to deal with odd x sizes.

Reply 5 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

About the Alpha problem, change that to the A111 temporary, but I will think about doing it correctly.

One way that might work is to go back to using OpenGL alpha textures (like you tried at one stage), but also use the REPLACE
texture method. I think then we will get the alpha from the texture without the color getting scaled.

The REPLACE method could be used when ever the texture is the alpha source, but not used by the color-combine unit (this is the setup when Redguard plots the sun). There are already some flags I added a while ago that keep track separately whether the texture is used by the two units.

I might give it a try at least.