VOGONS

First post, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, just updated SourceForge with the new alpha release, can everyone test it please.

Reply 1 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Paul and others,
just don't be surprise with the amount of changes I did to the sources, you are all encouraged to update your sources, in my work computer the speed up is visible but it has only a Vanta video board (lowered TNT2), so... 😀
As soon as I reach home I will test it on games other than Unreal and Unreal Tournament and the demos, but I need much more tests as I modified lots of different sections and fixed some bugs too.

Reply 2 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mmm... something to do over the weekend... 😀

Thanks Fabio! We'll let you know!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the record, OpenGlide properly detects my Voodoo3 card as only having OpenGL 1.1 support. *sigh* looks like my compatibility-testing days are numbered... 🙁

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

For the record, OpenGlide properly detects my Voodoo3 card as only having OpenGL 1.1 support. *sigh* looks like my compatibility-testing days are numbered... 🙁

We could take a branch in CVS at v007b5, and whenever changes that are not OpenGL 1.3 relient are made, we could merge those up onto the branch. That way we may be able to keep a 1.1 version going without holding back the main development.

Reply 5 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't have to do that for lil' ol' me...

Hm, I'm not sure a fork is a good solution... Why not just make OpenGlide big and fat, and have both?... or does Fabio not want that?

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The recent changes Fabio made were purposely towards the small and lean, and so no I don't think Fabio wants that. And for good reason. Keeping two very different methods for doing various bits of the work, scattered all over the program makes it difficult to work on. Makes the code unreadable and difficult to understand. The really nasty bit is when the correctness of a version-specific part of one module depends critically on taking the right version-specific path in another module. You find yourself effectively working on two programs simultaneously. Its the same problem you get with programs where someone has gone mad with #define's.

Reply 7 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

The recent changes Fabio made were purposely towards the small and lean, and so no I don't think Fabio wants that. And for good reason. Keeping two very different methods for doing various bits of the work, scattered all over the program makes it difficult to work on. Makes the code unreadable and difficult to understand. The really nasty bit is when the correctness of a version-specific part of one module depends critically on taking the right version-specific path in another module. You find yourself effectively working on two programs simultaneously. Its the same problem you get with programs where someone has gone mad with #define's.

I see. Hell, I've followed MAME development, which is the most insane thing ever. (Can one man manage a hundred new files of C code and make sure they all still work when added to the source tree without using a version control system? Amazing, isn't it?) It's probably warped my mind.

So, do what you want, but don't do it on my account. Do it because there is or is not a significant number of non-OpenGL-1.3-compliant video cards on Fabio's video card usage poll. 😉

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey,
Calm down... 😀
The only thing I assume nowdays is the use of Secondary_Color extension, all else is just like before.
The remove of the code I did was for a good reason, I can do a fallback for secondary color that does not do the same ammount of work the previous code did. It will be however slower than using a card with the extension.
I will do that, later, don't worry Stiletto.
But, why in hell would someone with a Voodoo 3, 4 or 5 would use OpenGLide instead of the native Glide? 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the Voodoo3 can't do windowed Glide rendering, period. I'm not sure about the Voodoo4/5. There's a hack called WinGlide (use Google), but no one's updated it in years.

That's my main reason.

I also hate to see people left out of using something because their computer is only a few years old, but that's a personal sentiment really. 😀

Also, you can't argue with GliDOS being a cool program. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:
hey, Calm down... :) The only thing I assume nowdays is the use of Secondary_Color extension, all else is just like before. The […]
Show full quote

hey,
Calm down... 😀
The only thing I assume nowdays is the use of Secondary_Color extension, all else is just like before.
The remove of the code I did was for a good reason, I can do a fallback for secondary color that does not do the same ammount of work the previous code did. It will be however slower than using a card with the extension.
I will do that, later, don't worry Stiletto.

I think we were all agreeing with your decision. I particularly like code I can read and understand, and keeping all these fallback methods works against that.

But, why in hell would someone with a Voodoo 3, 4 or 5 would use OpenGLide instead of the native Glide? 😀

Actually they might want to use OpenGLide because glide drivers don't work under W2K and XP (is that still true). And they might want to use Glidos bnecause it scales up the resolution, so they can have Tomb Raider in 1280x1024 although the game is limited to 640x480.

But all the Glidos games work via OpenGlide v007b5 so there is not a problem.

Reply 12 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

I think we were all agreeing with your decision. I particularly like code I can read and understand, and keeping all these fallback methods works against that.

Right, I'm not mad or anything. I know my video card is destined for the trash heap. I've been saying over and over in this thread - phasing out the OpenGL 1.1 support is YOUR decision. I'll go with it anyhow - I'm along for the ride. If Paul thinks it's worth keeping the OpenGL 1.1 support as a fork of the main source tree, that's fine too. Maybe Fabio misunderstood me.

Actually they might want to use OpenGLide because glide drivers don't work under W2K and XP (is that still true).

I'm told GlideXP works wonders for this. (Link again: http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/)

I think there's some other hacks floating around too.

And they might want to use Glidos bnecause it scales up the resolution, so they can have Tomb Raider in 1280x1024 although the […]
Show full quote

And they might want to use Glidos bnecause it scales up the resolution, so they can have Tomb Raider in 1280x1024 although the game is limited to 640x480.

But all the Glidos games work via OpenGlide v007b5 so there is not a problem.

A very good point - I'd forgotten this.

(BTW, Fabio - did you get my private message?)

Stiletto