VOGONS

First post, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I just released the final 0.08 version.
Most of the old 3dfx demos work now, including Valley of Ra and others, Flipper and Wizards Tower are almost there.
Lots of improvements and speed-ups.
Try it out and tell me the results.

Reply 1 of 17, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is one of your best releases so far, excellent.

I'll be keeping my results to myself this time, as this board is more interested on Blood, and Redbaron.
But suffice to say, I am impressed with games that are now working, that didn't before.

Keep up the great work,

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 2 of 17, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well Craig,
Keep your angry to the others threads, this one is not interested in any games in particular, but in everything that is for Glide 2.x.
I really need to know what is working, how it is working, what works now but did not work before, what do not work now but worked before, what is wrong with some items and speed, is it better than before?
So please, if you are angry with others, please don't be with me, my main concern is making a good wrapper for EVERYTHING.

Reply 3 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

I'll be keeping my results to myself this time, as this board is more interested on Blood, and Redbaron.

CraigG, could you explain exactly what you mean by this comment?

Reply 4 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes - I for one am always a fan of Craig's threads... Don't be sore, Craig! There's other readers (and lurkers) who enjoy all your tests!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 17, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So please, if you are angry with others, please don't be with me, my main concern is making a good wrapper for EVERYTHING.

Exactly WHERE have I ever been angry at you ?

Perhaps I should just be one of the many whiners you see, posting unuseful crap, rather than contributing.
Moan, whine, Why doesn't this work ?, I see a tiny flashing 1mm square in RedBaron and why ?

Is that what you like ?

I have always appreciated your work, and am always amazed by every release. It's just a shame you have NEVER appreciated my testing.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 6 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CraigG, we've appreciated your testing more than anyone else's. It's always been thorough and coherent. I'm not sure where you got the impression we thought otherwise. Certainly if all we cared about was Blood and Red Baron 3D we would hardly be updating at all, but this is not the case. The reason these are such popular topics is because they are extremely popular games, and as such get much more screen time here. Don't, however, think that they are any more important than any of the other Glide games we've yet to run successfully.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only interested in X, only interested in Y, that sounds like me. I must admit I like to work on one game at a time, otherwise I end up with a load of half working games and nothing finished. Hmmm, hope its not me that's upset you Craig. Please don't think I don't appreciate all the help you've given me.

Actually your main periods of testing have been so prolific that I've had to treat the results as a store of information for the future. Its too much to follow up straight away, but as I get around to each game that's going to be the first place I'm going to look. Knowing up front which games are likely to require least work, and also knowing some tricks they require to get them going - of course that's extremely important.

I just hope you keep at it.

Reply 10 of 17, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just updated SourceForge with the some changes that fixed some combine modes, so now Wizard Tower (demo from 3dfx) works almost perfect. Maybe it has fixed anything in some game, who knows... 😀

Reply 11 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some reason, all of a sudden, I couldn't find the 3dfx demos! (Imagine my shock)
Link here, again, for safe-keeping:
http://www.falconfly.de/artwork.htm

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's nothing! I can't find the all-time favourite mods on modarchive.com. It was posted in news a few weeks ago, but it's recycled and I can't find it! Waah! (Why isn't there a clear link? And where is their news archive!?)

Oh wait, nevermind. Found it (in the discussion board, blah): http://www.modarchive.com/chart

😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OpenGlide 0.09a1 - or, Fun with the 3dfx Demos
-------------------------------------------------

- Yes, I know my card is merely OpenGL 1.1-compliant - but that means no textures (or multi-textures) AT ALL? Be prepared for the "bug reports" - or, as Paul said, maintain an alternate version...

- Demo6030 seemed to ignore the presence of OpenGlide in its directory and forced regular Glide to launch on my Voodoo3. Weird, it shouldn't have done that. I guess it's looking in Windows/System or something. Does it work for you, Fabio, with the DLLs in the directory?

- ATSFlip works fine, no errors noted EXCEPT... loading a many-polygon model (Skeleton), I could occasionally see very thin, white lines at the join between triangles. I think this has been commented on already. Using REAL Glide, I didn't see this. No textures, as noted.

- DemoRoom launched okay, no textures as noted.

- Donut worked great! Mouse lost context at one point, but I noticed this using Glide, too. Not sure why this happens. No textures as noted.

- Flipper (Grand Bleu) works (no textures as noted above). BTW - to save people headaches - if there is a "debug.txt" file in the directory, make sure it is read-only. 😀

- Race works (no textures)

- Valley of Ra works (no textures)

- Wizards Tower works (no textures)

- Borg doesn't want to launch at all. Not sure what is going on. "Error: NULL window specified". 🙁

- WizMark uses Direct3D and is thus exempt from the testing.
Configuration File for OpenGLide

Version=Version0.08 // (It's reporting this, should be 0.09)

[Options]
CreateWindow=1
InitFullScreen=1
EnableMipMaps=0
IgnorePaletteChange=0
EnableFog=0
EnablePrecisionFix=0
EnableMultiTextureEXT=0
EnablePaletteEXT=0
EnableVertexArrayEXT=0
EnableFogCoordEXT=0
TextureMemorySize=16
WrapperPriority=2
FrameBufferMemorySize=8

-------------------------------------------
OpenGLide Log File
***** OpenGLide Version0.08 ***** // (It's reporting this, should be 0.09)

Date: 12/14/02
Time: 01:25:51
Clock Frequency: 265.91 Mhz
Configuration file is OpenGLid.INI
-----------------------------------------
Wrapper Class Priority of 32
Wrapper Priority of 2
-----------------------------------------
ColorBits = 16
DepthBits = 16
Using OpenGL version = 1
Setting in Use:
Init Full Screen = true
Fog = false
Precision Fix = false
MultiTexture = false
Palette Extension = false
Vertex Array Extension = false
Fog Coord Extension = false
Blend Function Separate = false
Texture LOD bias = false
Texture Memory Size = 16 Mb
Frame Buffer Memory Size = 8 Mb
MMX is enabled
** OpenGL Information **
Vendor: 3Dfx Interactive Inc.
Renderer: 3Dfx/Voodoo3 (tm)/2 TMUs/16 MB SDRAM/ICD (Nov 2 2000)
Version: 1.1.0
Extensions: GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_SGIS_multitexture WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_3DFX_gamma_control WGL_EXT_swap_control WGL_ARB_extensions_string
** Glide Calls **
-------------------------
Time: 01:26:18
-------------------------

Anyhow, for shits and giggles, I decided to put eVoodoo up against OpenGlide. Note that my video card being a Voodoo3, we already know that the Direct3D driver will be way better than the OpenGL driver... and using plain jane Glide much more sensible - but anyways...

And the generalized results is that eVoodoo worked on ATSFlip, DemoRoom, Donut, Flipper, Race, Valley of Ra, and Wizards Tower without issue. eVoodoo COULD do textures/multi-texturing (in everything but Flipper, probably a bug) and was generally faster, too. (framerate was visibly higher) This is what supporting lower-end video cards with a smaller-revision-number 3D API can do for you. 😀

Well, if OpenGlide is indeed discontinuing texture support for older cards, then I'll use either WinGlide or eVoodoo for Glide-in-a-window rendering. I'm already anxiously awaiting MacLeod's next version anyhow (no offense or anything). If support is indeed being discontinued in OpenGlide, then we may want to start plugging eVoodoo. I wonder: Can we force GliDOS to coexist with eVoodoo? 😉

Of course, by the next version, eVoodoo may require your video driver to have DirectX 8.0 or 9.0 support. The last Voodoo3 Win98 drivers were DirectX7-compliant only, methinks (I may be wrong...) That's going to be THEIR way of phasing out support for older cards, too.

Again, not trying to offend you guys, you know I love your work and do anything I can to further it.... just making observations and thinking of the best overall solution for guys with slower machines/video cards. It's funny, we come up with all these software hacks to get old software working in a modern computer, but when it comes to old hardware, we say, "phooey!"

And now, an issue when running the demos on my Voodoo3 in Windows 98 (someone, if you own a Voodoo3/4/5 and Windows 98, PLEASE look!)

- Borg won't work at all. It doesn't seem to want to spawn a full-screen Glide window at all. No error message - just says it's loading all the textures then closes. With OpenGlide, it at least tells us "NULL window specified." And with eVoodoo - I actually get an error message from borg.exe! "gd error (gmtConvert3df): 0x98ab22 - 0x960078 (0x2aab0) != 0x40000". But I dunno, maybe that's being caused by eVoodoo. What's going on? You guys know?

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto - Borg won't work at all. It doesn't seem to want to spawn a full-screen Glide window at all. No error message - just says it's loading all the textures then closes. With OpenGlide, it at least tells us "NULL window specified." And with eVoodoo - I actually get an error message from borg.exe! "gd error (gmtConvert3df): 0x98ab22 - 0x960078 (0x2aab0) != 0x40000". But I dunno, maybe that's being caused by eVoodoo. What's going on? You guys know?

Ages ago I took out some code that created a window if one wasn't passed in by the game. The NULL window error suggests that code might be needing putting back. On the other hand, when running with a created window, I'm pretty dure the game is going to lose the keyboard and mouse events. If we can't pick up one of the game's windows at all, then I think we are stuffed.

Reply 15 of 17, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version did you use? 0.08, 0,09a1?
I must say one thing, I did not remove support for anything yet, we are still using OpenGL 1.1, I just need some extensions, but the only one needed and that the 3dfx driver does not have is the SecondaryColor, but this one I am putting back some fallback code. This behavior is very strange as I did not remove anything, if you care to test any of these demos with previous versions until you see one that works tell me what it is I can look for the problem.

Reply 16 of 17, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok I think I know what happened, and I must say it is very sad, the 5_6_5 format that is the most used and the main one in Glide was not supported by OpenGL 1.1, so extensions were needed, so they created the PACKED_PIXELS extension that does NOT support the 565 only 4444, 5551 and others, damn I though that it supported 565 too, so I opened the extension specification and... nothing, there is no extension to support 565, the 565 mode was supported by OpenGL 1.2. I will put back the code to correct it.