Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Secret of Monkey Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8zqSRdofk

Monkey Island 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9S5ABg-tM

Sounds pretty good to my ears!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, the mt-32 is NOISY compared to the emulator. All the sounds "sound" the same, which is the whole idea, but its painfully obvious in monkey island 2 there is significant noise.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I want to do more comparisons, but noticed an issue with games running at different speeds and audio therfore running out of sync.

Now I looked into feeding the MIDI signal (See other thread), but ran into issues.

So this is what I'm thinking.

I have three retro PCs, I'm thinking of connecting the MPU401AT MIDI out into the MIDI in of an AWE64 Gold on another computer and recording the MIDI information into a midi file.

Then I do recordings from that midi file using MUNT and a connected MT-32 (Old).

So I'm looking for a DOS MIDI capture utility. Basically you set it to record and then press stop and in the end you have a midi file with all the SySex data ready to go.

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Codename ICEMAN comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJt62irCEs

Even during this little track the audio slowly drifts out of sync...

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

as for now munt emulates cm-32l/lapc-i, so i think comparing it to mt-32 doesn't make much sense cause you don't know if the difference is caused by not acurate emulation or by difference between cm-32l and mt-32

Reply 6 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

as for now munt emulates cm-32l/lapc-i, so i think comparing it to mt-32 doesn't make much sense cause you don't know if the difference is caused by not acurate emulation or by difference between cm-32l and mt-32

Yea it's a fair point. I might use a CM-32L for my next videos. I'll pick a game that makes use of the sound effects...

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

btw can you check if that mid plays properly for you?
Re: Cakewalk Pro 3.0 on XP

I'll give it a go!

In general mid files captured with DOSBox are a bit weird. When I play them on my retro PC, they often sound too slow or some instruments are off.

I don't trust DOSBox captures anymore. I rather find a solution that captures midi data from a retro PC, but haven't found anything yet.

PS: Recording attached. I used MEGAMID

I think it also has that issue you describe...

Attachments

• Filename
    Dune2MT-32OldMegaMid.mp3
    File size
    2.43 MiB
    Downloads
    280 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the mid i got is from here
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,1564.0.html
so i guess it was done properly

as for the bugs you find in dosbox midi recording i think you should start a thread about it on dosbox forum, so they could be fixed, otherwise they will never be. 😀

Reply 9 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes your recording has that problem too so at least i know that there is nothing wrong with my module (or both are broken 😉 )
(actually i think they are as that may be the result of old mt-32's firmware bug 😉 )
my recording that i thought was ok is here
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2 … 6.html#msg34036
but i noticed now it is not ok too: the sixth guitar play is simply missing 😉

there are 8 guitar sounds in this mid and depending on something the last three are played differently sometimes: sometimes one is silent and following is too loud or two are too loud. I encountered a few variations. They are ok if you mute at least one of other tracks or change volume or make some other change (slow down tempo) Actually not sure about if it is ok as i wasn't testing missing effect at that time (just too loud). Now i noticed cakewalk professional 3.01 also mutes one sound.

Reply 10 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take it the real game doesn't reproduce this issue?

I remember playing Dune on a Sound Canvas as a teen. Must be one of the newer DOS games to support the MT-32.

Just uploading another video showing the CM-32L vs MUNT in Ultima Underworld.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think original game has this problem too.
dune 2 is said to be designed for mt-32 rev 0 and exploit its firmware bug.
there are two instruments that are affected: distorted guitar and phaser guitar.
you can check that youself:
in munt and cm32l/lapc/newmt32 both guitars are very silent and hardly heared in all dune2 songs so they sound differently.
also you may notice on mt32 that if you set volume of all tracks to 0 both guitars will still be heard. Their volume is somehow fixed (using firmware bug i guess) so that when you change volume they always play at the same volume. on cm32l/munt you can adjust guitars volume

Reply 12 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CM-32L vs MUNT: Ultima Underworld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJVASlRWYU

My YouTube channel