VOGONS

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been trying to muck around with a few midi captures done by DOSBox playing a game with MT-32 support. I wanted to modify them in CW and remove some undesired notes, but after I export the midi files, the instruments play all wrong. I've also tried just opening the midi file and exporting it without change (except change the tempo) and the same thing happens, so it wasn't something I removed from the midi file. Is there anything I could do to prevent Cakewalk from borking the SysEx? (or whatever else it might ruin)

Reply 1 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey MoM (LOVE the name, BTW). The instruments should play fine, unless you missed the program changes when recording. if that's not it, then it must be that the SysEx reset after the game was exited.
The trick is to send the SysEx in Cakewalk before editing, so the right SYX is already in the MT-32.

The thing to understand is that it's unlikely anything is being 'borked'. DOSBox MIDI capture and C 3.01 both just respond to what you ask of them.

Are you doing a Sierra game, or something different? Almost every Sierra game is available on QuestStudios in terms of SYX.

The solution if it's not, is to record the part where the game loads and sends the SysEx to the MT-32, and stop capture right after that. Then you have a SYX inside a MID, and you can play it to your module, and then work on editing the music.

If I'm missing the point, I apologise, but I'll try and help further 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote:

Hey MoM (LOVE the name, BTW).

Set it according to this: http://image.dosgamesarchive.com/screenshots/comkeen1.gif

Spikey wrote:

The instruments should play fine, unless you missed the program changes when recording. if that's not it, then it must be that the SysEx reset after the game was exited.

For the former, I'm not sure, it plays fine outside DOSBox. For the latter, I use the "built-in" version of munt, so it's not possible for the SysEx to have been "stuck" in the external munt (the one with the Qt GUI)

Spikey wrote:

The trick is to send the SysEx in Cakewalk before editing, so the right SYX is already in the MT-32.

?

Spikey wrote:

Are you doing a Sierra game, or something different? Almost every Sierra game is available on QuestStudios in terms of SYX.

The solution if it's not, is to record the part where the game loads and sends the SysEx to the MT-32, and stop capture right after that. Then you have a SYX inside a MID, and you can play it to your module, and then work on editing the music.

Nope, it's Pushover. And from what I noticed, the game loads the SysEx every time it plays a song.

Spikey wrote:

If I'm missing the point, I apologise, but I'll try and help further 😀

No worries, no need to apologise, and thanks.

Attached the midi files so you could take a look. The one with "orig" at the end is the midi file straight out of DOSBox, the other two were tampered with CakeWalk

Attachments

• Filename
    midis.zip
    File size
    16.02 KiB
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After trying out MidiEditor, I found out it doesn't mess any of the midi files, and works flawlessly. Another plus is that it's FOSS and multi-platform, so I no longer need to switch to Windows just to use CakeWalk 😁