VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pi 3B+ that I am trying to use MT32-Pi on. Are there step by step instructions other than what is on the quick start section of the creators github? I followed those and nothing is working. Here is what I did:
- I copied the contents of the zip file downloaded from the github page onto the root of the Pi's sd card.
-I placed the MT32 roms in the roms folder of the sd card
-I plugged in the UM-One into a USB port of the Pi and plugged in speakers to the headphone jack.
-I hooked up the other end of the UM-One to my vintage PC's midi port.
- When turning on the PI none of the LED's light up on the UM-One and there is no sound coming out of the speakers when playing midi from the vintage PC.
-I confirm this same setup works using Munt on a regular PC without the pi so I know the configuration is correct on the UM-One cable itself.

Anyone using this same configuration and have some hints of how to get it to work?

Reply 1 of 7, by FISHERMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am stuck in the exact same position on a RPI3A with UM-ONE cable ..i have send an email to Edu Arana asking for some clarifications.

following the instructions from github i did some changes :

usb = on
gpio_baud_rate = 31250
gpio_thru = off
output_device = i2s --> no output 🙁
sample_rate = 96000
chunk_size = 512
i2c_dac_address = 4c
resampler_quality = good
midi_channels = standard
rom_set = old
type = ssd1306_i2c. --> oled screen now working OK

if i use a simple Midi cable then on the oled screen i get the messages "frame error" & "Midi unexp error" and sound is distorted , while if i change to UM-ONE cable i get no sound and no messages on screen..

I also confirm that running rpi3b+ with muntPi worked pefectly with the same pc setup and um-one cable.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MT32Pi is really neat. I tried a cheap USB cable on the reception side first, but soon realized that the MIDI interface was poor - no opto-coupler, just resistors (bad design!).
Because, with different ground connections, this setup almost begs for a failure.
So I made a cheap MIDI-In using an underpowered, slow opto-coupler and finally got music in Gateway.

Here's a quick video of it, along with a cheap tube amp that I made from spare parts.
If done correctly (fast opto-coupler), the little stuttering should fixed, too :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43kYMGZhKk

Attachments

• ef95_amp.jpg
    Filename
    ef95_amp.jpg
    File size
    240.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cny17-2_mt32pi.jpg
    Filename
    cny17-2_mt32pi.jpg
    File size
    285.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FISHERMAN wrote on 2020-10-17, 21:47:
i am stuck in the exact same position on a RPI3A with UM-ONE cable ..i have send an email to Edu Arana asking for some clari […]
Show full quote

i am stuck in the exact same position on a RPI3A with UM-ONE cable ..i have send an email to Edu Arana asking for some clarifications.

following the instructions from github i did some changes :

usb = on
gpio_baud_rate = 31250
gpio_thru = off
output_device = i2s --> no output 🙁
sample_rate = 96000
chunk_size = 512
i2c_dac_address = 4c
resampler_quality = good
midi_channels = standard
rom_set = old
type = ssd1306_i2c. --> oled screen now working OK

if i use a simple Midi cable then on the oled screen i get the messages "frame error" & "Midi unexp error" and sound is distorted , while if i change to UM-ONE cable i get no sound and no messages on screen..

I also confirm that running rpi3b+ with muntPi worked pefectly with the same pc setup and um-one cable.

Do you have an external DAC? I2S will output serial data via the requisite pins and needs an external device wired to the GPIO header to decode it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that Roland cable correctly connected?
Re: Roland MT-32, CM-32L + General MIDI for $50 Building a MIDI box

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by FISHERMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I was not doing anything wrong ....updated to o.62 and voilas!! Happy gaming

Attachments

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FISHERMAN wrote on 2020-10-24, 20:35:

Finally I was not doing anything wrong ....updated to o.62 and voilas!! Happy gaming

I can confirm, no lame excuse.
USB MIDI was broken for a moment (6 to 6.2).

Attachments

//My video channel//