VOGONS

First post, by thorndraco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP
Athlon XP 1800+
Sound Blaster Audigy

Well, basically the problem I'm having is that I can't get the midiport on my soundcard to send a signal to my MT-32. I'm using one of the front ports on my Audigy, but I've had no luck thus far and I'm starting to feel a bit defeated. At first I thought the unit might be broken since I was also having trouble getting a newer midi keyboard to send a signal to it, but I got it working with a low-end drum machine no problem, so I know the unit is working. I'm just really not sure how to get it working with my current setup, if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to your "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel. On the Audio tab select SB Audigy MIDI IO [8800] for MIDI music playback. This is assumming that you have the cables hooked up right.

Reply 3 of 5, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you set the MT-32 to receive input on channel 1, too? Press "master volume" and hold it down, then press "5" and release both buttons. Then press "1"...

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Kippesoep mentioned, the MT-32 maps its "parts" 1 through 8 to MIDI channels 2 through 9 by default. This is unfortunate because most single-channel output MIDI keyboards output events on MIDI channel 1. The trick Kippesoep mentioned (which I didn't know about until just now) will change the mapping so that parts 1 through 8 map to MIDI channels 1 through 8.

I've also gotten around this by using the MIDI Yoke/Ox software to remap channel 1 events to a higher channel number.

Also, the best way to test that the MT-32 is working when connected to a computer is to get an MT-32 MIDI from somewhere like Quest Studios and play it in the simplest working Windows (or whatever your native OS is) MIDI player software is that you have installed.

The easiest way to test in Windows is to use the MIDI test in DxDiag (Start->Run->dxdiag). It will sound horrible on the MT-32 (since the test song is General MIDI) but it will produce sound on a working PC->MT-32 setup.