VOGONS

First post, by fragment_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i want with a few little words to learn how to patch dosbox with .diff patches.
What programs i need (i need dosbox source?) and what compiler (m32 i suppose) i need. .... commands?????

Reply 1 of 8, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impossible. (The part about "few words", that is.)

You can use MS Visual Studio or the freely available mingw32 tools. Installing and compiling can be a bit difficult, so if you never did compile anything on your own, be prepared to spend a lot of time until you get the hang of it.

Search the forums for words like "mingw32", "mingw" or something like that to find threads which contain explanations.

Reply 2 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MingW32/MSYS is a beast to set up. I would suggest tackling that step first, then getting plain DOSBox CVS to compile, and then lastly worry about patching.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to know how to get the DOSBox source to compile first. A diff file simply contains the differences between the DOSBox source code and the patched version. It is applied once, changing the source code, and doesn't affect the compilation process in any way.

To apply the patch, simply copy it into the DOSBox source folder, make sure you have "patch" installed in your path somewhere and type "patch -i blabla.diff" ().

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, The release versions of DOSBox are built with MinGW32. Personally, I use Microsoft Visual Studio. Search the forum for instructions on how to build.

Reply 7 of 8, by fragment_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tried but nth it needs libraries like sdl png etc! please can someone compile the dosbox aep cvs with the patch "dosbox-svga-patch-20060204b.diff"?? if u dont have i will send. please anyone compled for me send me to fragment.gr@gmail.com or sakis_m@msn.com(only with msn mess). thx a lot lot!

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course you need those libraries. As I mentioned above: instructions on building DOSBox can be found by searching the forum or the FAQ: here.

Maybe somebody will do it for you, but don't hold your breath.