VOGONS

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After I bought a Roland MT-32 last year, I learnt that it doesn't work correctly with my favourite Game (Ultima Underworld - see the CM-32L Emualtion thread) I scouted for such a device and settled for a Roland CM-64. I thought it might be good too and indeed it does play the water sound in UW.
The only downside the CMs have compared to a MT-32 is that they lack the nice display. The Ultimas that supported the MT-32 displayed nice little messages in it (especially Ultima 7 - e.g. when you ended the game it said "Poor Avatar..."). So I'm glad I have both 😀
So I wonder if munt will ever show the messages in a special window (when the driver is installed) or if there are any other plans for supporting this.

Also both my devices came without manuals. I'm going to try to find them onlyine now but does anyone have them or knows a place where to get those?
EDIT: The manuals were easy to find on Rolands homepage.

I'd offer to rip the rom of the CM-64 for the developers if I'd know how to do that 😀

Rambling out! 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that Sierra Studios has at least the MT-32 manual. if not I could scan my MT-32 manual.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks collector, but as I edited my post almost right away, I found the manuals on Rolands site.

I wonder how I'd have to rig up the two devices with the pass through so I can see the messages in the MT-32 display but hear the music from the CM-64 one (if that is possible)...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need MIDI splitter. Generally, proper splitters are not cheap but in your case simple Y-splitter might just work. Search eBay for "MIDI splitter," there are a few of these right now.
Theoretically, it should be possible by a software solution -- intercept all MIDI messages, identify all text sysex, and remap them to a different channel. In that case daisy-chaining modules would work. In practice, I don't know if such software even exists. The splitter solution sounds less painful.

Reply 5 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need MIDI splitter. Generally, proper splitters are not cheap but in your case simple Y-splitter might just work. Search eBay for "MIDI splitter," there are a few of these right now.

There is a simplier way to do it.

From the computer you could connect the midi out to the midi in of the CM-64 and connect the midi thru of the CM-64 to the MT-32 and simply unplug the wires from the MT-32 to the speakers. That way you will only hear the CM-64 sound.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hierophant: that's the solution I waslooking for 😀
Now I only need to find another midi cable. Almost nowhere in the real world I can find those damn cables. Though I think the old PC keyboard cable is the same.

Edit: Kicking myself! I have two cables and the midi-out one doesn't need to be connected. So I hooked both devices up with the midi-thruh port and it works just nice!