VOGONS

First post, by r90223038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed "mt32emu_win32drv-0.1.3" under winXP and run ultima7 in Dosbox 0.65.

All music and effect sound perfect until I travelled near compfire, the effect of fire sounds like crack noise. It also happened when my party equipped with "fire sword".

I left the game and swich the soundcard to Soundblaster Pro and then the effect of fire goes right.

I though it's the problem of MT-32 emu. Does anybody meet the same problem? Or it's just a special case?

ps. I have checked the MD5 of my ROM files. They are no problem.

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

can you attach a savegame? I could try that out with my real mt32

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 11, by r90223038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Dominus, here is the savegame.

There is a campfire nearby and the fire sword is in Shamino's backpack(sorry for he is dead).

I am now trying to re-install the game and figure it out if that's the problem of my previous using the directory in Exult.(May Exult change the file?)

Attachments

• Filename
    GAME09.U7.mp3
    File size
    461.1 KiB
    Downloads
    443 downloads
    File comment
    please delete ".mp3".
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by r90223038 on 2006-05-07, 04:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no exult, doesn't change any of the original files. More likely an unsupported area of the mt32 emulation. I'll try the savegame later

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, tested it a bit and the fire sound is indeed a crackling sound. But I don't quite understand when you say that the fire sound is "right" when you use the soundblaster. In that mode the sound is highly annoying.
I attached a recording of how the firesword sounds with my CM-64 (I really didn't want to hook up the mt-32). You have to turn it loud to properly hear it.

Attachments

• Filename
    firesword.mp3
    File size
    33.21 KiB
    Downloads
    545 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 11, by r90223038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, you're right. That's not Exult's problem, though it did add some files to the directory.

Now I recorded the effect of firesword under sbpro and MT-32. Indeed, they both sound noisy, but I do think the effect sounds more "right" under sbpro.

***Turn your speakers down please***, They both sound loud and noisy in my computer.

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32.mp3
    File size
    78.41 KiB
    Downloads
    755 downloads
    File comment
    mt32
    File license
  • Filename
    sbpro.mp3
    File size
    102.04 KiB
    Downloads
    565 downloads
    File comment
    sbpro
    File license

Reply 6 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

strange, my sbpro sfx is a lot more high pitched. But it is not because of the speed, since it sounds all the same, no matter how fast/slow I run it. Your mt-32 sound is a tiny bit different to the one played on mine, but mostly the same I'd say.

Reply 7 of 11, by r90223038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, now it seems that is the problem can't be solved under my circumstance, however, the journery must go on.

I still wonder who can hear the "right" effect of fire under MT-32. Is that possibly the problem with DOSBOX? Because that still sounds odd under the real one .

Thank you again, Dominus. Feel this forum is so warm place for an old Avatar.

Reply 8 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I still don't understand what you mean with right? the emulated sfx you have is close to the one the real one plays. And I think this is the right one.

Reply 9 of 11, by r90223038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean the effect sounds more correct under sbpro. One under your real MT-32 still sounds odd.

If your u7 also run under DOSBOX, then that may the problem of DOSBOX.

However, it's also possibly the effect of fire just goes that way. But I don't feel the team produced such beautiful music would make noise as fire effect.

Reply 10 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm pretty sure the sfx is right. Some effects are just not that good on a MT-32. The best combination would be to be able to choose mt-32 for music and adlib for sfx. Thank god there is Exult (though that just hasn't implemented all effects - no big loss in regard to the fire effect) 😀