VOGONS

First post, by elliotth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, the emulator works fine with ScummVM and I am happy and all that 😁

But the driver sounds like this when playing the Loom theme tune grabbed from http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/.

Any help appreciated 😀.

Reply 5 of 9, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sounds like the problem I'm currently having. I'm relatively new to the DOSBOX scene, and I installed 0.65, along with MT32_CONTROL.ROM and the other file (I can't remember its name now), and am running DOSBOX and Scumm. While the MT-32 emulation is sound (pardon the pun), the instrumentation is incorrect. For example, when I run Future Wars, I remember, from back when I actually had an MT-32, that the opening music is supposed to be strings, deep bass and cellos. But through DOSBOX, I get piano instrumentation instead. Same thing with Silpheed and Flashback. It seems to me to be a font or bank issue, because I remember when playing these games, the front panel would indicate that sounds were being "uploaded" into the MT-32 for each game. Any ideas?

Reply 6 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds like you do not have your MIDI control set up correctly. In the Windows Multimedia control panel, you need to set your preferred MIDI device to the MT-32, or it will play back to whatever your sound card's default MIDI synth is.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 9, by NoMelsLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using ScummVM to (try to) play Loom on my computer. The game works fine, but the sound doesn't. I've tried every possible combination of sound settings within ScummVM. Could it be that I need to download something else to get it to work?

Reply 8 of 9, by puttesnutte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to play Loom with MT-32 sound you need to have
1. the PC floppy version (EGA 16 colors)
2. the MT-32 patch for that version
If you don't have the patch the game only supports Adlib (and PC speaker)
The CD-ROM version of course only have digital sound & music.
I forgot where I found the patch, but it is probably available on some LucasArts fan site.