VOGONS

First post, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm finally trying to figure out how to get MT-32 to work in DosBox. I can get it "working" but it doesn't sound right. But since I've never actually played a game with MT-32 sound, I really don't know the difference. I keep hearing about MUNT and different DosBox builds. I downloaded a DosBox build by ykhwong that says it has Munt emulation. But it also seems like Munt can be installed separately. Or do I still need to download and install Munt from sourceforge? From what I've studied, there are two rom files that are needed to get MT-32 emulation working. I followed the instructions in this thread to take care of that.

Does Munt need the same thing to work in general, or does it vary from build to build? And what do I need to do to get MT-32 emulation working in the ykhwong DosBox build? I've spent a couple hours reading through the forum and looking through google to figure it out, but since I don't really know what I'm looking for, it's not helping much.

Reply 1 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need the Munt software itself, MT32_CONTROL.ROM, and MT32_PCM.ROM. When you install Munt it will ask you for the location of the MT32_CONTROL.ROM and MT32_PCM.ROM. Due to risk of law suit by Roland we can't provide these files. ScummVM has Munt compiled straight in, and there are some custom builds of DOSBox that have it built in as well, but they aren't required. If you install the Windows driver and set your preferred MIDI device in the Multimedia control panel to Munt, a regular build of DOSBox will work with it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 3, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a random thought. On dual CPU system it may be better to use Munt instead of custom DOSBox -- they will execute on different CPUs/cores resulting in better performance in both. On a single CPU system, custom DOSBox build might have some slight edge.