VOGONS

First post, by rubinio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello folks, i'm new here.
i am happy for the dosbox and mt32 emulation projects, but i have decide to make a pc for retrogaming (i have the pieces).
for the sound card i have a sb64 gold, but i would add a roland sound card.
i think now roland don't produce pc sound card, probabily i must search some old card.
how many tipe of roland sound card exist (for pc gaming)?
what you suggest?
if you know some site that explain it, please, inform me.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by rubinio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

one think...
i prefer an internal roland sound card, not a external module.
i know there are some card mount directly in the extist sound card (daughter roland board mount on sound blaster card).

Reply 2 of 5, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sad that this thread received no replies 🙁

What country are you posting from?

For gaming, you'll mainly want a MT-32 and SCC-1 (Sound Canvas) since those are the most common.

Some sites to get ya started
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/roland.htm
http://alag3.mfa.kfki.hu/dcsabas/hi-fi/waveopl4.htm
http://dor-lomin.com/archive/ultima/musicarchive/u6/
Sierra Music Central
Quest Studios

Mods should move this to the PC Section too

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by timppa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

A couple of points about choosing a Roland synth for your retro-gaming PC (I have owned both the internal card and external module).

The ISA card version you are looking for is called Roland LAPC-1. It is a very long ISA card, on my old 486 machine it touched both ends of the PC chassis, so it may not fit on all ISA slots on your PC.

However, I later sold it and bought a second-hand external Roland CM-32L module for two reasons (CM-32L is 100% compatible with LAPC-1 and MT-32):

a) Many PC games "screwed up" the sounds of the Roland synth. Or more precisely, some games didn't initialize it properly when you run them. This meant that many games would sound completely wrong with LAPC-1 if you had played some other game just before it.

The only way to cure that was to switch off and switch on the PC between different games, because only that would properly intialize LAPC-1. Simply rebooting the PC would not help.

However, with external modules like MT-32 and CM-32L, you can simply switch off and on the module, and it is initialized properly for another game. No need to do anything to the PC, just run another game.

b) Having an external Roland module allowed me to make The Ultimate Retro-Gaming PC sound-wise: Roland SCC-1 (Sound Canvas) for General MIDI/GS games, and external Roland CM-32L connected to SCC-1 for the MT-32 games. This setup worked perfectly, whereas with two "similar" sound cards in the system (Roland SCC-1 and LAPC-1) could possibly pose some problems, or at least using them would not always be so straightforward because they want to use the same I/O address, IRQ etc.

At best, my retro-gaming PC had Soundblaster 16 (for FM synthesis and sampled sounds), Roland SCC-1 (and Roland CM-32L connected to it), and Gravis Ultrasound. I am surprised I got this setup work perfectly. 😁 However, I sold GUS as there weren't that many games supporting it natively, besides vanilla General MIDI+sampled sounds, which I already got from Roland SCC-1 + SB16 combination.

Of course, you also need some kind of mixer for your sound cards, if you want to hear Roland music and sampled sounds in games at the same time.

Hope this helps with your decision. Depending how well MT-32 emulation progresses, I might be willing to sell my SCC-1 and CM-32L at some point. But not yet. 😁 Got to love them, I just love the MT-32 and Sound Canvas music in many old PC games...

Reply 4 of 5, by rubinio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks to everyall for answerd.

finally, i found a sound canvas scb-55 to mount on mys sb16. and a cm-32l external.
in this pc i have a sb16 and sb64gold, i would connect the cm-32l to sb64, but the guy has sell the roland to me, don't give me the cable.

for this cable... i need a simply cable from joystick port of the sb64 to the midi out of the cm32l?
i post a request in the forum, but the answerd don't clear well my doubt.

p.s. the gus is great sound card, i know, not all games support it, but the games do it, sound great music and sound effect.

Reply 5 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a) Many PC games "screwed up" the sounds of the Roland synth. Or more precisely, some games didn't initialize it properly when you run them. This meant that many games would sound completely wrong with LAPC-1 if you had played some other game just before it.

The only way to cure that was to switch off and switch on the PC between different games, because only that would properly intialize LAPC-1. Simply rebooting the PC would not help.

However, with external modules like MT-32 and CM-32L, you can simply switch off and on the module, and it is initialized properly for another game. No need to do anything to the PC, just run another game.

You can send a reset command to the LAPC-I, which will have the same effect as turning off the PC. You can send it through a sysex file or by playing a special midi file.