VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I
This is for those who have successfully installed the MT-32 Software Driver, (Full Guide for using the MT-32 Roms is available elsewhere in this forum index) and for those using D-Fend frontend for the dosbox :

If you're the type like me who likes to listen to MIDI music in windows but feel slightly burdened to change the MIDI driver everytime you want to listen to music after coming out of dosbox, do the following (it's very easy if you're using D-Fend) :

1.Keep your default MIDI driver to your original Sound Card's output.

2. Under your Default Dosbox Configuration, run the internal command mixer /listmidi

3. Note the number which corresponds to the "MT-32 Software Emulator".

4. Use this number for each of your Game configs which uses the MT-32 sounds : Go to your game profile ---> Select Sound ---> Select Midi ---> In the config parameter, enter the number as you have noted above.

This will help you to listen to your games in MT-32 mode, without changing your windows' midi output configuration.

II

Previously I had problem listening to clean mt-32 music. After a few trials and errors, I found the solution:

I used to have very slow sounding mt-32 music or any other gm music when switching to full screen, but in window, the speed of the music playback was normal. For this, when I changed my Render Method to Overlay, the music playback speed returned to normal without problems.

III

At another time, I had a lot of frustrating "Stuttering" and "Cracking" Mt-32 music in all the games at different points, which was not evident when I was using a different midi output.

For this, I also enabled the UMB in all the games that are using the MT-32. After this there was no more stutter and the music is clean and good.

Don't know why but this worked for the above problem.

Other than that, the current MT-32 Emulation is very good. Hope this helps someone with similar problem.

P.S. I'm using - Dosbox v0.65 - Original form, NO CVS stuff,
D-Fend v3 Beta.

I'm Using SB X-Fi Platinum & Geforce 8800GTX, with an Intel Pentium D 3GHZ & 2GB RAM.

(I just mentioned my system specs. just to show that I had all the stutters and slow music speed playback with it. It seems the problems are in the configuration. Have to tweak the configs till it work. The Render method might be different for your specs. I don't know if enabling the UMB for your system will work or not, but it worked for me, though I do not know the reason. Hope this info helps.)