VOGONS

First post, by Binary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Something has been baffling me in the past few days. I have done this 3 years ago so I know it is possible, but I can't get it to work again.

I have a real MT-32 and a Midisport 2x2 to use as interface between the MT-32 and my PC.

I've plugged my midi cables from the midisport to the MT-32 (Midisport in A to MT-32 out, Midisport out A to MT-32 in, which I think is correct) and started DOSBOX

Configured Ultima 7 / Serpent Isle and booted them.... nothing. No sound, no Sysex messages.

I've switched cables, computers, OSs (Win XP and Linux) and still no luck.

I'd like to think that I'm just being dumb and doing something wrong instead of assuming right away that either Midisport 2x2 or MT-32 are broken. 😁

Is someone else using a usb-to-midi interface that would consider giving me a hand with my predicament?

Thanks in advance!

--
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Binary wrote:

I've plugged my midi cables from the midisport to the MT-32 (Midisport in A to MT-32 out, Midisport out A to MT-32 in, which I think is correct) and started DOSBOX

Make sure the midisport is selected as the MIDI device on the Sound and Audio Devices in the Windows Control Panel. Make sure the lights on the interface are flashing properly for the A output. Try another MT-32 game.

Reply 2 of 5, by Binary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha, I managed to get this to work last night on my Windows box... but only once. After I unplugged the Midisport and tried again, it failed miserably, 2 or 3 times. Will try again later today, otherwise I guess I should buy another Midisport...

Great Hierophant, would you know under what circumstances the lights should flash? Should they be on as long as the MT-32 is plugged and on, or do they only turn on when there's data being "exchanged" ?

--
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Reply 3 of 5, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure the midisport is selected as the MIDI device on the Sound and Audio Devices in the Windows Control Panel.

Your previous selection might have gone lost after unplugging, check it again. Happens for me as well.

Reply 4 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Binary wrote:

Great Hierophant, would you know under what circumstances the lights should flash? Should they be on as long as the MT-32 is plugged and on, or do they only turn on when there's data being "exchanged" ?

The lights may stay on steadily, but should only flash when there data to transmit.

Reply 5 of 5, by RvLeshrac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use the tools at
http://www.queststudios.com/roland/utilities.html
to check and see if the interface is properly passing SysEx messages through to the MT-32.

There have been many cases over the years where what claims to be a MIDI interface is only superficially a MIDI interface. The MT-32 is one of a few MIDI instruments that are extremely sensitive to small changes in the interface.

There were many modifications made to the MT-32 over the years to account for this.