VOGONS

First post, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New release of the emulator out today. Reverb is back in. There have been several tuning and filter refinements, and I think I have the percussion nearly perfected. Also, thanks in part to ih8registrations, the code has been significantly optimzed. As usual, check it out:

http://www.artworxinn.com/alex

Though the typical samples may still not sound perfect, I would suggest to anyone who is really curious as to the full potential of the emulator, that they would play Quest for Glory 2, Willy Beamish or Colonel's Bequest. Those three games all use a large number of custom instruments and sounds. As such, my emulator can handle and generate the sound effects and custom instruments, unlike a run-of-the-mill MT-32 sound patch.

Have fun!

P.S. If people hate the reverb, let me know and I'll post a binary with it turned off. I know it still doesn't sound quite right.

P.S.S. Snover, why no mention of my MT-32 emulator on your MT-32 emulation page?

Reply 2 of 8, by damien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I agree...it's getting to the point where I don't wince every two seconds.

This is a seriously cool project, I only wish I understood enough about the MT-32 to contribute 🙁. Where do we send our donations?

Reply 3 of 8, by bailey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I'm totally impressed, too. I have my own MT-32, but it'd be nice to be able to hear it live without actually having to hook it up. 😀 Great work, it's starting to sound pretty decent now.

Reply 4 of 8, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the support. The next release, which should be out in a couple of days, will have dynamic reverb (that approximates the MT-32's modes) and a few more bug fixes. I'm getting to the point to where I can fool my wife into which one is my emulator and which one is the real thing. I believe this is a good sign. 😀

Another neat thing about the MT-32 emulator beyond not having to hook it up will be that I intend to make a driver/system tray application out of it. That means it'll work with DosBox, ScummVM, you name it. Since you'll be able to control it in the system tray, you'll be able to reset it or load patches or change reverb or what-not to your heart's content right there from your desktop. I've applied for my own sourceforge site to begin the development of a driver for Windows and Linux. I'll let you know it goes.

Reply 5 of 8, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried playing Rise of the Dragon and it is very nearly spot on! Also tried willy beamish, off key in a couple of places but other than that you're nearly there!! (Bearing in mind that I originally played them with a soundblaster so I can't really compare, but to me they're sounding pretty good!)
It's an old dream come true finding your software canadacow, I'm rifling through all my old games to see how they sound!! Making the most of it now, our first baby is due 1st Jan 2004 so not much computer time then!
Thanks again,
Matthew

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by teamster1975 I've just tried playing Rise of the Dragon and it is very nearly spot on! Also tried willy beamish, off key in a couple of places but other than that you're nearly there!!

Any MT32 owners out there willing to create a "comparison" listing? While ideally, we should hope for perfect emulation, it would be nice to have a comparison list. Especially for those titles where you may as well choose General MIDI or AdLib.

Reply 7 of 8, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course, I presently own an MT-32... and I've been using it to forecast the logarithmic equations used to generate attack times and what-not. I wouldn't bother with generating that list until I'm satisfied with the audio playback. There's still some things I know are lacking. Again, its only a matter of time before I have them nailed down too.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by canadacow Of course, I presently own an MT-32...

*heh* I knew that, I just figured you had your hands full and wanted to concentrate on the emulator. I was thinking in terms of other users. I'm not knocking your programming, I'm just saying that even technically perfect emulation will have the occasional oddball where it doesn't sound the same as the original.