VOGONS

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Howdy ho, I'm back:) T'was busy with other things I was, yes, yes...

Mkay,

Canadacow, I believe you meant to refer to midi.cpp in your build instructions as the dosbox v0.58 source doesn't come with a midi.h and in midi.cpp it includes the other midi_xxx.h's, depending on platform. As well, line 96 is in the middle of a structure. The platform dependent includes are just above that. Did you intend to replace one of the os dependent headers or include midi_mt32.h afterwords? It compiles with it afterwords but wanted to clarifying your intent.

Midi_mt32.h doesn't compile on Linux without some changes.

'static partialplayed;' on line 780 is declared without a type, but since it isn't used anywhere I commented it out.

These errors:

midi_mt32.h:2175: using obsolete binding at `f'
midi_mt32.h:2481: using obsolete binding at `lf'
midi_mt32.h:2924: using obsolete binding at `p'

are from declaring a variable inside a for loop argument,
'for(int lf;lf<=asdf;lf++)', which gcc doesn't like. Defining the variable before hand solves the problem.

int lf;
for(lf, lf<=asdf,lf++)

You can ignore all the other warnings. Make should successfully compile after these few changes.

To run, I did a make install, which copies the exe to /usr/local/bin, extracted dosbox.zip to a directory and from there, ran 'dosbox'. but before doing so,
you have to remove dosbox.conf. I havn't figured out which setting is causing the problem yet, but the dosbox.conf that comes in the zip causes
dosbox under Linux to seg fault. Without finding a conf file, dosbox uses a default.

Oh, and from my experience, dosbox is much faster under Linux. CPU usage drops to nothing(5%) for long stretches while it's always pegged under windows(98/me). I'll have to test some more.

ps. oops, looks like I DID goof again:) Didn't see that it was an array of pointers; that would do it.

ps ps. I havn't had any luck finding a DOS utility I remember long ago that ripped MIDI songs from games. If anyone knows where one is at, point it out
if you can. I wanted to extract the songs & parse which instruments they use to see if I could find any games that use cm-32l/lapc-1's sound effects. I've found sets of ripped game midi tracks but no rip util.

Reply 1 of 10, by bailey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funny that you mention the midi rip thing cause I was searching for Ultima MT-32 midis and came across two places that mentioned the filename but didn't have it for download. I just found this on google that is supposed to rip midis from games..

ftp://193.125.152.107/pub/msdos/sound/misc/midirip.zip

Reply 2 of 10, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I've been cleaning up my code in preparation for the next release. There are a lot of variables in the code that go unused. At one point in testing I used them, but then deleted (or commented) the code when I realized it wasn't accurate. This next version out will be much cleaner and I'll be sure to incorporate your changes.

Reply 3 of 10, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the link to the link bailey!

BTW, I found a page with a bunch of mp3's of the mt-32 playing game music. It also has a link to queststudios and another web page with mp3's of mt-32 game music playback. http://blaze.spicelab.net/mt32/

Reply 5 of 10, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha!

Well, I've been trying midirip inside dosbox with no luck. I suppose I should make a dos floppy or something and try it in real DOS. One thing I did find though; I had grabbed Microprose's subwar 2000 and it has a lapc1.pat file. The music configuration only gives lapc1 as an option(no mt-32, gm) so maybe just being used as a general term like 'roland'.

Reply 7 of 10, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading back. It's hard to keep a daily check on these busy threads when you don't have a computer...

I had a DOS app at one point called Ripper4 (also Ripper5 existed, I think), which ripped pretty much everything from anything, with varying degrees of success. If this is still an issue it might be of use.

Reply 8 of 10, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a copy.

http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/oldcomps … tware_util.html

It's in the util.zip's at the bottom of the page.

A bit of a pain in the ass to get from his archive(corrupt/split zip)so I've attached just ripper itself(60k).

I'm attempting to extract as I type. It doesn't run under win98 so I'm extracting in a dosbox.

Attachments

• Filename
    ripper.zip
    File size
    60.21 KiB
    Downloads
    440 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 10, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ih8registrations wrote:

Ha!

Well, I've been trying midirip inside dosbox with no luck. I suppose I should make a dos floppy or something and try it in real DOS. One thing I did find though; I had grabbed Microprose's subwar 2000 and it has a lapc1.pat file. The music configuration only gives lapc1 as an option(no mt-32, gm) so maybe just being used as a general term like 'roland'.

Could be. Transport Tycoon Deluxe has the same file, BTW.