VOGONS

First post, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Yesterday, i've tried to rip some mt32 music with the embedded sysex.
I've used 2 methods:

1- With a midi loopback software, Midi Yoke NT (Hubi's loopback doesn't work under win2K).

2-With only the mt32, with a midi cable on the THRU output.

Before, i've verified with 2 mt32 if the sysex were transmitted trough the midi thru output and it's ok.

The game i've used is space quest 3. I've record with success the midifile with sysex BUT i've compared my sysex with the Queststudio SQ3.SYX, they're totally different !?

for example in the sq3.syx the "INSERT BUKAZOIDS" isn't present
If I look the TEXT Msg "SPACE QUEST 3" i've got 2 sysex different
In the syx file i've:
F0 41 10 16 12 20 00 00 20 20 20 20 53 70 61 63
65 20 51 75 65 73 74 20 33 00 00 00 6F F7

In My Midifile i got:
F0 40 10 16 12 20 00 00 2A 20 53 50 41 43 45 20
51 55 45 53 54 20 49 49 49 20 2A 20 13 F7

So queststudio don't give orignal syx files or we don't use the same version. in mine it's "Space Quest III" and not "Space Quest 3".

I've tried for Stunts, and 🤣 the sysex generation is totaly random... i've never got the same sysex twice.

So if you've found a correct way to get the sysex properly please tell me !

Reply 1 of 8, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would think the easiest way would be to do what I do in my code with regard to sysex. Simply write it to a file as DosBox receives it.

Anyway... to keep people updated about what I'm doing w/ regard to the emulator. Presently I am making a user-mode soft synthesizer out of it for Windows. The next release anyone see's will be in driver format only. (So, for those with Linux out there, if you can help with writing Linux drivers, I'm soliciting your help)

Reply 5 of 8, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No... using the Microsoft DDK to create a kernel level WDM driver. This is to maintain compatibility with the legacy MT-32 apps written for Win 3.1 and 95.

Reply 6 of 8, by Zaarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tom at Quest Studios used Dr. T's MT-32 Editor/Librarian to get most of his sysexes. He simply started the game, waiting for it to transmit sysex, exited the game, started Dr. T's and then dumped the sysex from the MT-32. He then used a program to convert from Dr T's M32-format to the normal SYX-format. Both utilities can be found here: http://www.queststudios.com/roland/utilities.html

Look at this:
F0 41 10
F0 40 10
I thought the 41 indicated that this was a Roland sysex...funny that you ended up with 40.
The game was released in more than one version. In one of them Roger even spoke when he woke up in the pod (if you added a soundblaster driver that is). So my guess would be that Tom recorded the sysex from a different version of the game.

Reply 7 of 8, by khalek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originally posted by canadacow
[Anyway... to keep people updated about what I'm doing w/ regard to the emulator. Presently I am making a user-mode soft synthesizer out of it for Windows. The next release anyone see's will be in driver format only. (So, for those with Linux out there, if you can help with writing Linux drivers, I'm soliciting your help)

I wouldn't mind having a look at doing an ALSA sequencer client (read Linux driver)
However it would be nice if the code were say:

• uniformly indented
  • #define's for any use of asm
  • seperated out into a bunch of smaller files that are more manageable
  • abstracted any platform specific code as required
  • only included required functions

These are just a few things that come to mind after having a quick look at the source.