VOGONS

First post, by xtra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have been using a DOS sequencer for almost two decades. I keep for this purpose old hardware (386s, with ISA sound cards, etc.)

The sequencer software in question is Voyetra technologies' Sequencer Plus Gold. I cannot replace it with any other software, it is really the best sequencer out there, imho.

I got very excited when I first discovered DOSBox, and without even fiddling with the configuration, it made my Win XP new computer able to run the Seq Plus Gold and to draw a sound out of it.

Well, my question is, what kind of hardware emulation is DOSBox capable of, because I might completely migrate to the newer computers, if I get all the functionality of the software.

1).

The Seq Plus Gold had different sound card drivers, and I got it to work with DOSBox by using it as if it were a Sound Blaster. The problem is that the playback is very unreliable, certain sounds won't come out, and a very limited polyphony is possible, plus sometimes it creates some rest or pauses.

Is there any way to fix that by configuring the DOSBox for that piece of software? The Seq Plus Gold supported many vintage sound cards, including MT 32, LAPC-I, Sound Blaster AWE Gold, etc.

2).

And the other thing is the MIDI recording. Seq Plus Gold was able to function with 401 MPU compatible cards, is there any way to use DOSBox to pick up the MIDI messages entering my computer through a USB midi interface and to fool the Seq Plus Gold into believing it's entering the 401 sound card?

Can DOSBox pick up the entering MIDI messages?

I don't know if that's too much asking, but it would be great if I could still use that software on newer hardware, because I fear that the day my last 386 gets roasted, I would be in real trouble to keep up sequencing.

(The other option that I had been envisaging was to hire someone to re-write the program to run with newer hardware, but I fear that might be out of my budget).

Any help will be very appreciated.

xtra

(The program has been released as freeware by the company that bought Voyetra, Turtle Beach, and can be downloaded at their webpage, together with the drivers for all the supported sound cards).

Reply 1 of 2, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry that this won't be any help to your actual question, but have you tried any new (Windows) MIDI sequencing software? I used to use SPP and SPG eons ago, but sometime (around 1993 or so) migrated to Twelve Tone System's Cakewalk Professional v3.01.

CWP is a 16-bit Windows 3.x program, but behaves quite nicely under W95/W98/WXP. Now, <IM(not so)HO>, *ALL* of the newer versions of CWP are crap... I tried some of the newer incarnations (Cakewalk Pro Audio versions 5 through... 9 I think?) and absolutely HATED all of them!

To this day, ALL of my MIDI composition is *still* with the old CWP v3.01 for W3.x from a decade and a half ago 😀

Anyhow, not an answer to your question, but you might like CWP 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 2 of 2, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"playback very unreliable" is too vague. "certain sound won't come out" sounds like emulation inaccuracy. Limited polyphony is an attribute of the sound blaster which DOSBox emulates. "rest or pauses" Change the cycles and cpu type. Read the documentation.

DOSBox uses the host MIDI device for output by default, which is whatever synth you're using hardware or software. There is a MIDI-in patch, and opl/fm passthrough patch to use the host opl/fm(intended for using hardware but could be software as well) instead of DOSBox's built in sb emulation.