VOGONS

First post, by justkevin7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little unsure where to post this question, but I thought I'd try here since some of you may have similar setups.

I've put together a vintage gaming PC using DOSbox connected to a Roland CM-32l over a usb to midi cable. Everythings seems to work great (sound wise) with games that use "MT-32", however there are a few games that I wish to play that *only* have General MIDI support. For those I wanted to use my roland SCD-15 daughtercard, however I don't know any soundcard that I can use in my PCI based system that will accept it. *sigh*

So basically if I want GM I have to tell DOSbox to use my SoundBlaster live! built-in GM which I think sounds pretty terrible. I've also set DOSbox to use the Microsoft Virtual Software Synth but that also sounds a little strange (but a little better)

My question is do I have to settle for the software synth, or is there a better way to get better quality GM sounds out of my system for these games? Is there a way to put my SCD-15 daughtercard to use or am I out of luck? (short of buying a used sound canvas!)

THanks for your help..

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May be able to get a PCI SB16 that will take the daughtercard, not sure. You can also get tons of soundfonts for your SB Live that will make it sound better. Personally I just bought an SC-88 from eBay and use that with my MT-32 so that I don't need to have any particular sound card in my systems.

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

terratec made PCI sound cards that have a wavetable header... used one to have a DB50XG in XP at some point... search eBay 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website