VOGONS

First post, by kmatze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm new at this point. I've found the munt-project and try it under vista. The result is pretty. many question I have:
1) the mt32 emulator is a midi-device. Can i use it like as an original MT-32? Perhaps to define new sounds an send them as sysex? Or read the actual sound parameters from driver as sysex?
2) if there an editor to communicate with mt-32 or the driver?
3) Many post describe mt32 with dosbox. is this right, that this is not meaning the windows munt-driver (MIDI-device) but also a direct compilation in dosbox (so the the result of mt32 goes directly to audio-output of soundcard)?

thanks and greetings kmatze

Reply 1 of 1, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kmatze wrote:

Hi,
I'm new at this point. I've found the munt-project and try it under vista. The result is pretty. many question I have:
1) the mt32 emulator is a midi-device. Can i use it like as an original MT-32? Perhaps to define new sounds an send them as sysex? Or read the actual sound parameters from driver as sysex?

I don't know how much of the MT-32 feature set is implemented, but you should at least be able to program it with custom sound parameters via sysex.

2) if there an editor to communicate with mt-32 or the driver?

Anything that can send sysex commands to a windows MIDI driver should work. I've never used a sysex editor though (closest thing I've used is some of the MIDI-OX/MIDI-Yoke family of tools to upload sysex data).

3) Many post describe mt32 with dosbox. is this right, that this is not meaning the windows munt-driver (MIDI-device) but also a direct compilation in dosbox (so the the result of mt32 goes directly to audio-output of soundcard)?

The Munt project is mainly an MT-32 software-based emulator, but people have developed interfaces to allow it to be used either as a Windows MIDI driver or a built-in DOSBox/ScummVM MIDI device. The advantage of the former is that anything that can communicate to a windows MIDI driver can use Munt, while the advantage of the latter is that you can use Munt in non-windows (Mac, Linux, etc.) ports of DOSBox/ScummVM.