VOGONS

First post, by Moonreaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for a way to automatically switch MIDI devices in XP.

I'm using the D-Fend Reloaded front-end with DOXBOX and have an MT-32 hooked up to my machine through the USB using its own speakers. I have games some games that use MT-32 and some that use General MIDI. Right now when I play an MT-32 game I have to go into Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in XP and change the MIDI device to use the MT-32 and if I switch to a general MIDI game i have to go through the procedure again.

I was thinking if there was some kind of shortcut for this, I could incorporate it into my D-Fend game profiles through the Helper Programs function.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows numbers all MIDI devices/outputs, but DOSBox defaults to using whatever is selected as the default/primary device. You can put a specific device number in the config though. As robertmo said, it's mentioned in the readme.

I think there may even be a command inside of DOSBox to list all of the devices so that you can find out what their corresponding device numbers are.

Reply 3 of 3, by Moonreaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I feel like a bonehead for not checking the dosbox readme, but for some reason it never occurred to me that dosbox would have that feature.

Thanks for your help robertmo and HunterZ!