VOGONS

First post, by deusfaux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There isn't one, so I have question I'd imagine many would have.

1. What games (maybe a list) sound best using MT-32 sound? (is it always superior to GM and GUS?)

2. Since DosBox doesn't emulate the MT-32, how would I go about doing so? I see words like MUNT thrown around, with no clear simple explanation of what that means.

emulating the Gravis Ultrasound is easy, but I understand this is a different challenge altogether...

Reply 1 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

>1. What games (maybe a list) sound best using MT-32 sound? (is it always superior to GM and GUS?)

if game's music was made for mt32 so it sounds best, and others are just translations. If for gus - gus is best, if for gm - gm is best.

>2. Since DosBox doesn't emulate the MT-32, how would I go about doing so? I see words like MUNT thrown around, with no clear simple explanation of what that means.

just get dosbox from here http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/

>emulating the Gravis Ultrasound is easy, but I understand this is a different challenge altogether...

you just have to install gus drivers, search the forum

Reply 2 of 12, by deusfaux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1 so how do you know which games were composed for which sound device?

2 is there not just an add on or patch of some kind I can use with regular DosBox?

And yes I know how to emulate GUS. I thought I implied that by saying it was easy.

Reply 4 of 12, by deusfaux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because the information is so disorganized in this subforum! That's the whole f'ing point here. There's nothing about MT-32 emulation or how to do it on the DosBox wiki, or any of the DosBox guides in the guide subforum, or any of the websites that detail all the sound device choices for DosBox.

Most subforums have a stickied thread that explains all the basics, so users DON'T have to read through several threads/pages at random hoping to understand wtf everyone is talking about.

Last edited by deusfaux on 2010-04-29, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by Ohma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha ha ha, ah I love how thoroughly useless pretty much every longstanding member of these forums is. How dare people ask for help about a thing. What do they think this is, some sort of forum for information and assistance?

Anyway, so as not to just flame I will be somewhat helpful.

Assuming that you already have a fair handle on working with your OS and DOSBox then to start with you should download Munt from here. Additionally you'll need the MT-32 control PCM ROM which is not included in Munt, but shouldn't be terribly difficult to find. The compressed folder for Munt will have a readme in it that should walk you through installing it.

Finally, to use Munt through DOSBox you need to know what number to put after "midiconfig=" in your options. To find out, start up DOSBox and enter "mixer /listmidi" which will have dosbox list the midi devices it detects on your computer, simply put the number associated with the MT-32 emulator after "midiconfig=" and you should get a passable emulation of MT-32 sound (obviously if you were to get a real MT-32 off eBay it would be better but that is often not an option).

As for which games sound best using which device. I'd honestly say you should experiment. The same settings can end up sounding radically different between games, and sometimes the card a game was designed to use just doesn't sound as good as another card which was coincidentally made better use of by the game.

The sound entry on the wiki can be helpful in figuring out what the different devices have to offer.

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can bypass downloading and installing MUNT (the availlable download is ages old and not based on newest munt sources) by following RobertMo's first post...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 12, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
deusfaux wrote:

1. What games (maybe a list) sound best using MT-32 sound?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games

In other words, those made before GM or GUS were available.

Reply 11 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripa wrote:
deusfaux wrote:

1. What games (maybe a list) sound best using MT-32 sound?

In other words, those made before GM or GUS were available.

That is not true. For example Dune 2 has Sound Canvas support, but sounds better with MT-32 (creates new better sounding instruments). So the answer would be: games that use MT-32 ability of creating new instruments.

Reply 12 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Ohma wrote:

Ha ha ha, ah I love how thoroughly useless pretty much every longstanding member of these forums is. How dare people ask for help about a thing. What do they think this is, some sort of forum for information and assistance?

Well everybody who posted in this thread knows the answers to the questions asked, whoever we strongly dislike lazy people who don't search the already existing threads for information, as the questions asked here, have been answered multiple times.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!