VOGONS

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since the MT-32 is a little bit easier to obtain than the CM-32L and not as rare as other equipment, here's a question:

If I use the SC-55 as an MT-32 for MT-32 games that don't have special SysEx "tones" and only use the MT-32 first gen for the SysEx enabled games, out of those, how many will not run correctly (for any reason)? Is that a huge number or just a select few. I know there's a list on wikipedia but I believe it's incomplete.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth waiting for a CM-32L to show up at an auction or should I just look for any MT-32 (first or second gen)

Reply 1 of 10, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

usually, games that won't work correctly on a first gen MT-32 also use extra sound effects found only in a CM-32L (or CM-64) an an LAPC-I, but not in a 2nd gen MT-32.
Games that don't work well on a first gen MT-32 include TFX, Lure of the Temptress, Lollypop and Fire & Ice, but there are more.
On the other hand, there are also some games that only really work well (or sound right) on a first gen MT-32 so ideally you should have both an MT-32 first gen and a CM-32L/64 or LAPC-I.

Why would you use the SC-55 in MT-32 mapping for non-sysex MT-32 games though? I really prefer the warm sounds of the real MT-32 in those cases but thats just a matter of opinion of course.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 2 of 10, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Salient wrote:

Why would you use the SC-55 in MT-32 mapping for non-sysex MT-32 games though? I really prefer the warm sounds of the real MT-32 in those cases but thats just a matter of opinion of course.

Oh, only because I wasn't sure if all non-sysex games designed for the mt-32 actually worked correctly on it. From the context of your post I assume that's not the case 😀

Salient wrote:

On the other hand, there are also some games that only really work well (or sound right) on a first gen MT-32 so ideally you should have both an MT-32 first gen and a CM-32L/64 or LAPC-I.

Although I'm not too happy about it, this just clarified a lot of things for me! 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great News!

I just picked up an SCB-55 roland daughterboard for a mere $36 on amazon. Internet search shows it to be compatibile with the MT-32. How "compatible" is it? Does it support the MT-32 sysex games? Any drawbacks?

EDIT: 🙁 order got cancelled. The seller claims he no longer has this and amazon listed it incorrectly.

Last edited by Jan3Sobieski on 2010-08-17, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it supports SysEx. Merely it has the same instrument patch mapping as an un-sysex-ed MT-32.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 5 of 10, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MusicallyInspired is right, it only supports the MT-32 default soundmap.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 6 of 10, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

EDIT: 🙁 order got cancelled. The seller claims he no longer has this and amazon listed it incorrectly.

The Seller speaks truthfully when he says he no longer has it. I was the one wat 'got it! 😁

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 7 of 10, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digitaldoofus wrote:

The Seller speaks truthfully when he says he no longer has it. I was the one wat 'got it!

Grrrr..... return it! 😉

Reply 8 of 10, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't feel too bad -- there was a small part on the SCD-15, that needs a very delicate solder/repair. Not 100% certain I can successfully repair it....we'll see. 😖

Reply 9 of 10, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, well, that sucks. Are you going to try to repair it yourself or take it to a shop?

In any case, if your efforts are unsuccessful and the card is a dud, send it my way, I'll clean it up, put it on a pedestal and pray to it... there will be chanting, dancing and all sorts of stuff...

Reply 10 of 10, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

I see, well, that sucks. Are you going to try to repair it yourself or take it to a shop?

In any case, if your efforts are unsuccessful and the card is a dud, send it my way, I'll clean it up, put it on a pedestal and pray to it... there will be chanting, dancing and all sorts of stuff...

I have a friend who has some experience in Surface Mount soldering (and better tools than I do)...so he has volunteered to tackle the job for me. I *hope* he is successful, since it is really a shame when one of these little jewels comes to the end of its useful life. 😢

I got the Seller to discount the item by $18 in order to compensate me for the damage...so that helps a little (I'm giving my friend the $18 for the repair attempt).