VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thought just came to me a moment ago...

MT-32 emulation seems to be very challenging, so I had this thought that maybe we could tackle this issue from another angle?

Instead of emulating a MT-32 why don't we use a more advanced synth such as a SC55 MK II or a SC88PRO or even SC-8850 and simply create some sort of "profile" for each game which you load into your synth before playing that game...

So basically on a game per game basis we would simply "match" the MT-32 and compatible sounds with a sound from these newer units...

As long as the game doesn't rearrange the midi unit halfway through...

It would take some effort, but this should be doable right? There are also only so many games that use MT-32 and compatibles, so this project could have set milestones with major titles coming first...

That way we could have a project that would take the original sound even further and breathing fresh air into some of these games...

Reply 1 of 6, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least one game that I know of does rearrange the sounds during gameplay; Lollypop.

Maybe it's the only game out there that does it though but I am not sure.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 2 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well if even you only know a single game that's a good sign 😉

However I am thinking of DosBOX anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem...

We could develop a "midi translator" or something that takes the games input and outputs it to your attached midi box. And that "midi tanslator" can be loaded with game profiles which you tell DosBOX before you play each game...

Reply 3 of 6, by RvLeshrac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that games used custom effects. Other synths weren't programmable to the extent of the MT-32, and "close" just doesn't cut it.

It has been tried before with soundfonts, and failed miserably.

The idea is sound, but the sound isn't.

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the custom sounds would indeed be quite tricky to "approximate"...

I also don't know enough about midi. I looked at a few MT-32 captures which I created with DOSBox and it was all very deep and complex.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RvLeshrac wrote:

Whatever that is, it's way too deep for me 🤣